1 2 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2016 1:57 PM by o-marat Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
        Ovivo Level 1

Thanks ! You are amazing ... I hate working in InDesign and manually importing each pages to artboards killed me on PC ! This is working very well in Ilustrator CS6 64-bit !

Thanks a ton !

• 41. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
          Dwayne_knight Level 1

Carlos !!! gENIUS !!!

• 42. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
            Dana.MAM Level 1

Hello Carlos Would you please give me the link that works with Cs5 i tried all links and not working specialit the file bottom or even if i wrote name of file i can;t open and i need this script urgent
            Please Help!!

• 44. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
              Dana.MAM Level 1

Thank You so much i tried it again and now it's working ^_^

• 45. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                MVH1959 Level 1

Get that donation link up! I've saved more time than I can count with this script.

(Don't tell anybody but I use CorelDraw's Print Merge feature, export the merged file as a multiple-up-per-page pdf file, then with your script, bring it all back to Illustrator. Saves me a TON of work.)

• 46. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                  CarlosCanto Adobe Community Professional & MVP

nice to hear that,  you can paypal me at this email account (xtaurio at yahoo dot com)

thanks

• 47. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                    GabrielPorras

Thankss Carlossss,

It works perfect in Illustrator CC.

• 48. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                      heathrowe Most Valuable Participant

Fantastic, thanks a lot Carlos.

Darrell

• 49. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                        ukrulesok Level 1

Hi Carlos, Im thinking of upgrading to CS6, Does this script still work ?.

Regards,

Andy.

• 50. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac

hi, yes, it does work with CS6

• 51. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                            ukrulesok Level 1

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regards,

Andy.

• 52. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                              tonyxamax Level 1

I have just found this script and it is AWESOME, its just saved me at least a weeks worth of time. The script is so smooth it should be incorporated into Adobe ! Well ~Done Carlos.

(opening 92 pages of a merged data file created in InDesign, exported as .pdf then opened using this script to create a nesting layout in Illy)

ps if you could create a nesting script you could retire on the proceeds.

• 53. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                The Machine-o Level 1

This sounds great and, from so many positive comments, it seems you've done some great work, Carlos!

Excuse my noobness, however, but I downloaded the linked file and can't run it. I unzipped it and found a .jsx file of which I'm not familiar. I'm on a Mac...am I just missing something?

Thanks for all your work!

Peace,

Paul

• 54. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                  The Machine-o Level 1

I retract that. I figured it out.

PERF!

Thanks a billz, Carlos!

• 55. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac

tonyxamax wrote:

ps if you could create a nesting script you could retire on the proceeds.

Retiring on the proceeds sounds great, what's nesting?

• 57. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                      The Noob Level 1

I've been using your script and it was working GREAT with Illustrator CC and CC (2014).

Today I upgraded to the latest version of Illustrator (2014.1.0) and now the script doesn't work all the time.  The script now creates a blank document and a second document with the file name and stops on the first page.  I checked and the "Page Range" was set to "From: 1 To: 2".  Have you done any testing on the latest version of Illustrator CC (2014) 1.0?

Thank you so much for sharing your time and expertise.

• 58. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac

Hi Noob, sorry I have not tested it with CC

• 59. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                          mercuriom@xavier.edu Level 1

Carlos, first I want to say thank you so much for this. I can't tell you how many HOURS this saves me a week. HOURS. This should be a standard Adobe product in my opinion.

I do have a quick question. When pasting on ALL ARTBOARDS, is there a trick to pasting all IN FRONT or pasting all BEHIND? Sometimes it works for me, other times it does not.

Regardless of this small little item, I appreciate the work you put into this.

• 60. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                            mercuriom@xavier.edu Level 1

Also, one more small question... if you have a PDF in landscape orientation, is there a way to open it in Adobe in landscape as well? Or does this only allow you to open them in portrait view with everything rotated?

• 61. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                              NMD.MUC Level 1

Hi Carlos,

just found your script - unfortuantely the download link wont work anymore. Would you be able to check on your side and post a new link?

Thanks!!

Mirko

• 63. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                gregoryn19397861 Level 1

Hi Carlos,

This script is no longer available when I click the link you provided 3 years ago. Any chance this still exists/ have another updated script for this purpose?

Greg

• 66. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                  michaelchiew Level 1

Many thanks! It work very well on most of my PDF files.

However, if the artwork has 2 layers above and at the same time one of it is hidden or locked. It won't load properly when I put in the files.

I even tried to add in...
                                                  pdfLayer.locked = false

pdfLayer.hidden = false

pdfLayer.visible = true

It still won't load properly or it gives me a blank page.

• 67. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                    deepali.jhaveri Level 1

Hi Carlos,

I'm unable to use that link. Please share it again.

I need it urgently.

Thanks in advance.

• 69. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                      deepali.jhaveri Level 1

Thank you so much Carlos.

• 70. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                        Alexander Karachevskiy Level 1

Hi Carlos.

I use Illustrator CC19.2. When i set the pages and click "Open", the script creates only new blank document.

And when i set any1 page, its opened with some damages. Could you help?

• 71. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac

hi, does that happen with all different pdf files? try other files to see if it works, if it doesn't please provide a troubled file to see if I can spot the issue.

• 72. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                            egoro92094184 Level 1

Good Day, Carlos!

Can You write a script for PLACING LINKS of multipage PDF?

• 73. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                              o-marat Level 3

CarlosCanto, hello!

What do you think that if I set the zero point of the global rulers to the top left corner of the working area?

In this case, the artboards will be added starting from the top left corner, filling all the available space in the working area.

If you think it's appropriate, then where do I put the modified script (changes are very little)?

1 person found this helpful
                                                              • 74. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac

Hi o-marat, that's a good idea, post your modified script here in this post.

• 75. Re: Introducing: Open Multi-Page PDF win/mac
                                                                  o-marat Level 3
                                                                  //@target illustrator
                                                                  //@targetengine session

// script.name = AI_openMultiPagePDF_CS4_CS5_v1.02.jsx; 
                                                                  // script.description = opens a multipage PDF;
                                                                  // script.required = requires CS4 or later
                                                                  // script.parent = CarlosCanto // 01/07/12;  v1.2-01/15/12
                                                                  // script.elegant = false;

// Notes: I didn't try opening a ridiculous amount of pages, I "only" open 35 pages....in about a minute and a half.
                                                                  // Use with caution, save everything before running, script is memory intensive...

// Lion fix by John Hawkinson 01/15/12

/**
                                                                   * MaratShagiev, m_js@bk.ru, 15 oct 2016, tested on Illustrator CS4, CS5, CC2015.3
                                                                   * modify lines: ~117, ~154-162, ~230-end;
                                                                   * what modify:
                                                                   * set zero point of the global rulers to the top left corner of the work area
                                                                   * start edding pages from this zero point
                                                                   * */

//----------------------- START UI CODE, create user interface
                                                                  var win = new Window ("dialog", "MTools - Open Multipage PDF");

var fileGroup = win.add ("group"); // this is the group on the left, it holds the File button and the Font label note

var btnFile  = fileGroup.add ("button", undefined, "File..."); // button to select the PDF to open
                                                                  var lblFonts = fileGroup.add ("statictext", undefined, "Unavailable\nFonts\nwill be\nsubstituted.", {multiline: true});

var grpRight = win.add ("group"); // group on the right, to hold everything else
                                                                  var txtFile  = grpRight.add ("edittext", undefined); // to hold selected PDF file path

var grpPanel   = grpRight.add ("group");
                                                                  var pagesPanel = grpPanel.add ("panel", undefined, "Page Range");
                                                                  var lblFrom    = pagesPanel.add ("statictext", undefined, "From:");
                                                                  var txtFrom    = pagesPanel.add ("edittext", undefined, 1);
                                                                  var lblTo      = pagesPanel.add ("statictext", undefined, "To:");
                                                                  var txtTo      = pagesPanel.add ("edittext", undefined, 1);

var btnGroup  = grpPanel.add ("group");
                                                                  var btnOk     = btnGroup.add ("button", undefined, "Open");
                                                                  var btnCancel = btnGroup.add ("button", undefined, "Cancel");

var lblStatus = grpRight.add ("statictext", undefined, "Open Multipage PDF requires CS4 or later...");

win.orientation = pagesPanel.orientation = "row"; // two items fileGroup and grpRight
                                                                  win.alignChildren     = "right";
                                                                  fileGroup.orientation = "column";
                                                                  fileGroup.alignment   = "top";
                                                                  txtFile.alignment     = ["fill", "top"];
                                                                  lblStatus.alignment   = "left";

grpRight.orientation = "column";
                                                                  btnGroup.orientation = "column";
                                                                  btnOk.enabled        = false; // disable this button until a valid file is supplied

txtFrom.characters = txtTo.characters = 3;
                                                                  btnFile.active = true; // receive the first "Enter"

win.helpTip      = "\u00A9 2012 Carlos Canto";
                                                                  grpRight.helpTip = "Not tested with a ridiculous amount of pages";

//------------------------ get the PDF file
                                                                  btnFile.onClick = function () {
                                                                    txtFile.text  = ""; // clear previous File path if any
                                                                    btnOk.enabled = false; // disable the Ok button
                                                                    var fileRef   = File.openDialog ("Select PDF...", "*.pdf"); // get the file
                                                                    fileRef       = new File (fileRef.fsName.replace ("file://", "")); // Lion fix by John Hawkinson
                                                                    if (fileRef != null && fileRef.exists) // check if it is valid file, it should be, unless after clicking a file, the name gets edited
                                                                    {
                                                                      txtFile.text  = fileRef.fsName; // show the file Path here
                                                                      btnOk.enabled = true; // enable the Ok button
                                                                      txtTo.active  = true; // move focus to change the last page to open
                                                                    }
                                                                  }

//------------------------ 
                                                                  btnOk.onClick = function () {
                                                                    doSomething (); // call main function.
                                                                    win.close (); // close when done
                                                                  }

//------------------------ on leaving this text, check again if file exist, in case file path is typed instead of clicking the File...button
                                                                  txtFile.onDeactivate = function () {
                                                                    //alert("on deactivate")
                                                                    var file = File (txtFile.text); // create a file based on the text edit control
                                                                    if (file.exists) { // and chekc for existance, if it does
                                                                      btnOk.enabled = true; // enable the Ok button
                                                                    }
                                                                    else { // if it does not exist
                                                                      btnOk.enabled = false; // disable the Ok button
                                                                    }
                                                                  }

//------------------------

win.center ();
                                                                  win.show ();
                                                                  //-------------------------END UI CODE 

function doSomething () // Open each page in the range, group all art, move to a new document, then
                                                                  { // with all pages on top of each other, create artboards and move each page
                                                                    // to its final own layer, own artboard.
                                                                  // get first page and last page to open
                                                                    $.hiresTimer; // start timer
                                                                    var from = txtFrom.text;
                                                                    var to   = txtTo.text;

// create destination document, pdf open options, etc
                                                                    app.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevel.DONTDISPLAYALERTS;
                                                                    var fileRef              = File (txtFile.text); // get file from text edit
                                                                    //alert(fileRef.name)

var idoc                = app.documents.add (); // add a document;

setAbsZero (); // MaratShagiev modify

var pdfOptions          = app.preferences.PDFFileOptions;
                                                                    pdfOptions.pDFCropToBox = PDFBoxType.PDFBOUNDINGBOX;

var spacing      = 10; // space between artboards
                                                                    var arrPagesInfo = []; // to hold each PDF page name, doc size and art position

for (j = from; j <= to; j++) // open all pages in range, group art, and move the dest document
                                                                    {
                                                                      pdfOptions.pageToOpen = j;
                                                                  // Open a file using these preferences

var pdfDoc     = open (fileRef, DocumentColorSpace.RGB);
                                                                      lblStatus.text = "\u00A9 2012 Carlos Canto - Opening page " + j;
                                                                      win.update ();
                                                                      var pdfLayer = pdfDoc.activeLayer;

// add a group and group all items
                                                                      var items    = pdfLayer.pageItems; // get all items in layer, there's only one layer, right?
                                                                      var tempGrp  = pdfDoc.groupItems.add (); // to group everything in page
                                                                      tempGrp.name = "Page " + j; // name the group, "Page 1", "Page 2", etc

for (i = items.length - 1; i > 0; i--) // group all items
                                                                      {
                                                                        items[i].move (tempGrp, ElementPlacement.PLACEATBEGINNING);
                                                                      }

// get document bounds

var pdfw     = pdfDoc.width;
                                                                      var pdfh     = pdfDoc.height;
                                                                      var activeAB = pdfDoc.artboards[0];

pdfLeft = activeAB.artboardRect[0];
                                                                      pdfTop  = activeAB.artboardRect[1];

if (j == from) {
                                                                        // firstabRect = activeAB.artboardRect;
                                                                        // abRect      = firstabRect;
                                                                        // $.writeln(abRect);
                                                                        var ableft   = 0; // position next artboard below the first one
                                                                        var abtop    = 0;
                                                                        var abright  = ableft + pdfw;
                                                                        var abbottom = abtop - pdfh;
                                                                        firstabRect  = [ableft, abtop, abright, abbottom];
                                                                        abRect       = firstabRect;
                                                                      }
                                                                      else {
                                                                  // TODO // x = 8498 seems to be the canvas max X position, check and make another row if a page gets to here
                                                                        if ((abRect[2] + spacing + pdfw) >= 8494) // if rightmost artboard position surpases the canvas size,
                                                                        {
                                                                          var ableft   = firstabRect[0]; // position next artboard below the first one
                                                                          var abtop    = firstabRect[3] - spacing;
                                                                          firstabRect  = [ableft, abtop, abright, abbottom];
                                                                        }
                                                                        else // if we don't get to the canvas edge, position next artboard, to the right of the last one
                                                                        {
                                                                          var ableft   = pageSpecs[3][2] + spacing; // pageSpecs[3] = abRect // abRect[2] = right position
                                                                          var abtop    = pageSpecs[3][1]; // abRect[1] = top position
                                                                        }
                                                                        abRect = [ableft, abtop, abright, abbottom];
                                                                      }

// get this group position relative to top/left
                                                                      var deltaX = tempGrp.left - pdfLeft;
                                                                      var deltaY = pdfTop - tempGrp.top;

// make an array to hold each page Name, width, height, deltaX, deltaY
                                                                      pageSpecs = [tempGrp.name, deltaX, deltaY, abRect]; // pageSpecs holds last page info, it gets overwritten as we add pages
                                                                      arrPagesInfo.unshift (pageSpecs); // unshift to make first page, the last in the array

// duplicate grouped page 1 onto dest document
                                                                      newItem = tempGrp.duplicate (idoc, ElementPlacement.PLACEATBEGINNING);

// close current PDF page
                                                                      pdfDoc.close (SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);

} // end for all pages to open

// Stage 2, create layers and artboards for each PDF page (group) and reposition 
                                                                  // loop thru the groups, add artboards for each and reposition
                                                                    var ilayer = idoc.layers[idoc.layers.length - 1]; // the one layer so far
                                                                    for (k = arrPagesInfo.length - 1; k >= 0; k--) // last item in the array holds the first PDF page info
                                                                    {
                                                                  // add new layer and new AB
                                                                      var newAB     = idoc.artboards.add (arrPagesInfo[k][3]);
                                                                      var newLayer  = idoc.layers.add ();
                                                                      newLayer.name = arrPagesInfo[k][0]

// reposition group relative to top/left
                                                                      var igroup = ilayer.groupItems[k];

igroup.left = newAB.artboardRect[0] + arrPagesInfo[k][1];
                                                                      igroup.top  = newAB.artboardRect[1] - arrPagesInfo[k][2];
                                                                      igroup.move (newLayer, ElementPlacement.PLACEATEND);
                                                                  // add new artboard to the left of existing one
                                                                      lblStatus.text = "Repositioning page " + k;
                                                                      win.update ();
                                                                    }
                                                                    idoc.artboards[0].remove ();
                                                                    ilayer.remove ();

app.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevel.DISPLAYALERTS;
                                                                    var time                 = $.hiresTimer / 1000000; // end timer
                                                                    lblStatus.text           = "Copyright 2012 \u00A9 Carlos Canto";
                                                                    alert (arrPagesInfo.length + " pages opened in " + time.toFixed (2) + " seconds"); // 35 pages opened in 98-99 seconds
                                                                    //$.writeln(time);
                                                                  }// end doSomething Function

/**
                                                                   * set the zero point of global rulers to top left corner of main work area
                                                                   * used copy-past max-size-rectangle (16383*16383 pt)
                                                                   * and the Document.view property
                                                                   * */
                                                                  function setAbsZero () {
                                                                    var WORK_AREA_SIZE  = 16383,
                                                                        d               = activeDocument,
                                                                        rect            = d.pathItems.rectangle (0, 0, WORK_AREA_SIZE, WORK_AREA_SIZE),
                                                                        artbMax,
                                                                        screenModeStore = d.views[0].screenMode;

rect.stroked  = false;
                                                                    rect.selected = true;

cut ();
                                                                    d.views[0].screenMode = ScreenMode.FULLSCREEN;
                                                                    d.views[0].zoom       = 64;
                                                                    d.views[0].zoom       = 0.0313;
                                                                    paste ();
                                                                    rect    = selection[0];
                                                                    artbMax = d.artboards.add (rect.geometricBounds);

d.rulerOrigin                                                  = [0, d.height];
                                                                    d.artboards[d.artboards.getActiveArtboardIndex ()].rulerOrigin = [0, 0];

rect.remove ();
                                                                    artbMax.remove ();

d.views[0].screenMode = screenModeStore;
                                                                  }

1 person found this helpful
                                                                  1 2 Previous Next