• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manually installing PDF Printer

Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My name is Justin and i work for Desktop support for a company. Im currently having a issue with installing  a PDF printer, we install Adobe Writer 9 Pro through the network using advertised programs on Win XP. Whenever i install the application it does not seem to automatically install a PDF printer on my pritner list. When i attempt to manually add it i get through all the steps sucessfully, however upon clicking finish, it then opens a directory box which wants me to point it somewhere, when i click cancel it then says something about inserting disk. Where i work discs are dissallowed, can anyone tell me where it wants me to point it or any potential workaround that i would not have to specify a path? My assumption is that it wants something from system 32 or adobe's program files but it does not specify.

Thanks

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

1.6M

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Please note that the Adobe PDF Printer functionality to create PDF files  is only available with Adobe Acrobat (paid version), and not with Adobe Reader (free version).

Solution 1

Repair the Acrobat installation using the option in the Help menu.

Solution 2

Uninstall and then re-install Acrobat on your Windows OS.

Solution 3

Manually install the PDF Printer

• Click Start >  Control Panel > Devices and Printers
  • Select Add a printer
  • Select Add a local printer
  • Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Hi,

You may take help from the following updated Adobe article Adobe PDF printer is missing | Manually install PDF printer

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that the Adobe PDF Printer functionality to create PDF files  is only available with Adobe Acrobat (paid version), and not with Adobe Reader (free version).

Solution 1

Repair the Acrobat installation using the option in the Help menu.

Solution 2

Uninstall and then re-install Acrobat on your Windows OS.

Solution 3

Manually install the PDF Printer

• Click Start >  Control Panel > Devices and Printers
  • Select Add a printer
  • Select Add a local printer
  • Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next
  • Click the Have Disk… button
  • Click the Browse… button
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF
  • Select AdobePDF.inf from the list, then click the OK button
  • You will see many Adobe PDF Converters in the list, however count six down from the top and click Next (you may need to try this numerous times to find the correct Converter from the list that works with your version of Windows)
  • Name your printer, e.g. Adobe PDF
  • Follow the rest of the prompts and your PDF printer should now be installed correctly

If you are later prompted for the ADPDF9.PPD file, it can be found in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF\<OS version> folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for that, Rave -- especially the manual install procedure. Very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rave ~~

I also am having problems with my PDF Printer. It worked fine for years, then a few months ago it disappeared from the printer list and now I can't print to PDF. I tried your Solution 3, Mannually Install PDF Printer, as described above but my file structure for Acrobat 6.0 doesn't look like what you described for Acrobat 10.0.

In Step 4, after checking 'Use an existing port', there is no 'Documents\*.pdf' to select from the drop down.

In Step 7, there is no path on my c drive called C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\Xtras

I searched my entire harddrive and backup drive for a file named, AdobePDF.inf. There isn't one on there.

Can you send me the installation procedure that will work with Acrobat 6.0? I would be so grateful. I am unable to use Solution 1 or 2 as my source disk is packed in one of a garage full of boxes.

I am using a Dell XPS running Windows XP SP3. I usually use FireFox 17.0.1 browser, but occasionally use IE 8.0.6001.

All updates are current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to open Acrobat and go to Help>Detect and Repair. For updates you will have to access them from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does this change for Version 11?

Note: I don't particularly want Adobe *.pdf to end up in

\Desktop or

\Documents

so can I just type in a directory of my own choosing?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just check in the properties of the Adobe PDF printer and you can check to always ask where to create the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please help me install adobe as a printer for windows 8. I have adobe 11.1. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is you have Reader 11.1, not Acrobat. If you have Acrobat 11.0.09 the printer should automatically be installed. Reader does not include the print driver, the latter simply being a PS printer driver. To get PDFs you also need Distiller that is part of the Acrobat release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2016 May 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please! I need to know how do it ( Manual install ) on Mac! ( El Captain )

I need " Print as Adobe PDF" in my preferences in Illustrator and photoshop but my Virtual Adobe Print are missing

I reinstall Acrobat DC but Adobe PDF virtual print don't install!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem in macOS Sierra (10.12.1). When install Acrobat DC, the "Adobe PDF" printer don't install on my mac preferences. I need them for make a booklet build on Indesign. (work with .ps and distyler after is very boring).

Have any way to install PDF Printer manually?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TitoMatheus,

It is not possible as Adobe PDF printer is not available on Mac anymore. Please refer this link to create Adobe PDF on Mac: Can't print PDF files on Mac OS X 10.6 to OS X 10.8

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having an issue installing the pdf printer driver on my computer. I tried the multiple things that are stated above and nothing has worked. It seems when I did the windows update my printer spool stooped working, so I had to uninstall and re-install all the printer drivers. I have adobe cs6 and when I go to print settings, the print to pdf driver would appear, now it does not. Any help would be much appreciated. 

-Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am having the exact same issue with the Adobe printer. I have Adobe Acrobat DC Pro installed, but Adobe PDF does not show up as a printer option. I've tried:

1. To correct/fix the installation,

2. Reinstall Adobe (multiple times)

3. And also try to manually add the printer by using the steps above. 

all resulted in no luck. What else can be done so that Adobe PDF can be installed as a printer? Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same problem.

Tried to Repair Installation and manual install, no luck...

Windows 10, Lenovo ThinkPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to install as a printer and these are not options that I have. I am using Adobe Reader XI, Windows 7, Firefox

When I follow this step: Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next

this is not an option that I have.

If I manually try to: Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF

This is not an option that I have either.

What I am trying to do is save a gmail as a PDF. From all my searches online it looks like I can do it if I can install PDF as a printer but I don't see a way to do this. Is there a way?

Thanks, Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe - Did you ever get help on this? I just recently downloaded the free trial for Acrobat Adobe Reader X1 and the PDF printer did not automatically install to my printers and I can't figure out to add it. Please let me know if you figured it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jhmaidan,

As suggested By Rave, Adobe PDF Printer functionality to create PDF files is only available with Adobe Acrobat (paid version), and not with Adobe Reader (free version).

Regards,

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Acrobat installed? The printer is part of Acrobat and Acrobat is required to install the printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit trying to save as pdf using print option. Pay for ability to create them but shouldn't need the subscription to do so.

"Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next" --- Doesn't exist

"Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF" --- Doesn't exist

Any help greatly appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I though that as well, but each slash / is a new file to open, First:Program Files (x86), then click open: Adobe then click open: Acrobat 10.0\ and so on, you will find each step works accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Windows 8.1.

When I get to this:

"Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next"

There is no Adobe option to select.  How should I proceed?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I have a new Windows 8 machine and cannot get files to print to PDF no matter what I try.

None of the above thread works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked to a tee thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you.  It worked like a charm, I have Adobe Acrobat 11 / Windows 8 and it was the first driver on the list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines