Flash install stops at 90%

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mcOS 10.11.6, late 2013 MacBook Pro.

Safari Version 10.0 (11602.1.50.0.10)

Flash version: just uninstalled it, so I don't have a version

Installation stops at 90%. I retried, completely uninstalled including removing all relevant folders.

I tried installing by following the links on the Adobe website using AdobeFlashPlayer_23_a_install.dmg, and also tried an install using install_flash_player_osx.dmg.

It stops at 90%. One attempt (I think with install_flash_player_osx.dmg, stopped at 38% the first try, and 15% the second.)

I turned off TechTool protection. Just FYI, I've just started getting the error message CoreTelephony Trace File Error on startup.

I also did a directory repair with DiskWarrior.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

I solved my flash installation problem by reinstalling El Capitan. This is  installing over one's existing macOS, NOT a clean install:

BACK UP, underlined 100 times

Then, AFTER BACKING UP,

Command-R while restarting

Select Reinstall Mac OS X (or words to that effect)

This also fixed some other odd behaviors: an error message about a CoreTelephony Trace File  problem, and an error message about a lockfile problem. Also, I was able to update Office 2011, which had failed before.

Try it! (after backing u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please review the FAQ Where do I find the Flash Player installation log on the Macintosh?  and provide ALL 4 files listed (Adobe_ADM.log, Adobe_GDE.log, install.log, and FlashPlayerInstallManager.log).  Please review the FAQ first before doing anything and go through the installation process again to ensure the logs you'll provide are for the same installation attempt. Upload the files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document​.  Post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I have two problems.

I created the ADM.trace file and ran the installer, but then the Adobe_ADMLogs folder is empty.

Also, I am unable to compress anything, not even a single file. Every time I try, I get the message "The contents list can’t be created for compressing.” Apple’s site says change read/write status of the files, but that didn’t help. Much searching with Google yielded no solutions to the compressing problem...

What should I do?

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which installer file are you using?

The online installer, AdobeFlashPlayer_23_a_install.dmg, creates the 2 files saved in the Adobe_ADMLogs directory (the other two files are also created, but by Flash Player installer itself).  The online installer is a shim installer that downloads and installs Flash Player silently, so it creates 2 additional log files.

If you were using the offline installer, install_flash_player_osx.dmg, then it won't create any files in Adobe_ADMLogs directory.

As for not being able to compress files, I don't know what would cause that. But the files shouldn't be large enough to have to compress, unless you're providing the entire install.log file, which isn't necessary, just the portion containing the Flash Player installation attempt is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still working on this! I switched to the online installer -- I was using the offline one -- in order to generate Adobe_ADMLogs files, and ran the online installer. It stalled at 90% and indicated that the installation had failed.

But NO DATA was generated in the install.log window in Console! Then after maybe 10 minutes, new data appeared, but when I looked, there was no FlashPlayerInstallManager.log! The two files in Adobe_ADMLogs were generated.

I will try again tomorrow. It seems impossible to get all 4 files for the same install run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, Here's what I did:

Opened Console

created markers

ran online flash installer

failed at 90 %

clicked finish

no data in Console instal.log!

downloaded offline installer

new markers in Console

ran offline installer.

All 4 requested files are linked!

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for posting the install log file. Here is the error:

Oct 21 13:38:54 RWD-MBPro installd[477]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted" UserInfo=\{NSFilePath=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.XXXXXX\} \{\

NSFilePath = "/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.XXXXXX";\

\}\

Oct 21 13:38:54 RWD-MBPro installd[477]: PackageKit: Running idle tasks\

Oct 21 13:38:54 RWD-MBPro installer[1683]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted" UserInfo=\{NSFilePath=/private/tmp/PKInstallSandbox.XXXXXX\}\

The two items I have in bold in the log file output, that are returning the failure, are system utility applications that are used when installing (any) software.  See PackageKit and installer for more information on these.

I performed an internet search on these errors and got quite a few hits for this error with several different software installation files, not just Flash Player, which seems to indicate this is a system issue.  When installing software, files are written to a tmp location first.  In this case the OS installer utility is trying to write to a directory that should be there but is missing, has wrong permissions, or has a broken link to it.  These are some results I found for reports of the same issue on other software:

Some people report upgrading the OS fixes, this but that's a work-around, not a solution, as upgrading installs a new OS and fixes whatever may be wrong with the file system.  Some people report that disabling System Integrity Protection and modifying permissions on the tmp directory works.  I don't feel comfortable recommending this, especially if someone is a novice user.  If you feel comfortable doing that you can, however, my recommendation would be to contact Apple, or your a rusted IT person, for assistance.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your reply!

I'll do a bit of digging online, and maybe make a Genius Bar appointment at y Apple store.

BTW, I tried up update Microsoft Word today and that installation also failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria:

I posted my unresolved experience under another with this same problem, georget34630753.  I have updated flash using ElCapitan a number of times over the past year and until thursday it was fine.  So it does not make sense that the OS is the issue.  As I stated in the other post, I link the problem to when I declined Adobe's notice to perform a security update that I received mid-day thursday October 20th, believing I could do later and that lead to all my Adobe software crashing and the inability to update or load Flash.   It seems clear that there is a correlation with that Adobe security notification.  And because the software crashes, I cannot access the updates if in fact there are any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved my flash installation problem by reinstalling El Capitan. This is  installing over one's existing macOS, NOT a clean install:

BACK UP, underlined 100 times

Then, AFTER BACKING UP,

Command-R while restarting

Select Reinstall Mac OS X (or words to that effect)

This also fixed some other odd behaviors: an error message about a CoreTelephony Trace File  problem, and an error message about a lockfile problem. Also, I was able to update Office 2011, which had failed before.

Try it! (after backing up)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2016 Oct 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!   THANK  YOU

The reader loaded and my two other adobe programs Elements and Acrobat Pro also now work.   I had a little trouble getting started and a little help from Apple to get me thru, some reason I needed to restart my modem and then it was all "glory".  Why the OS corrupted is unknown, but it works now.   Again thank you for sharing.

charles palenz

Camp Hill, PA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting the solutions that worked for you.  Re-installing the OS fixes whatever file system issues were on the system.  "Why the OS corrupted is unknown, but it works now"  is a very good question.  From what I've found searching this error on the internet this is the key piece:  what caused the file system to all of a sudden become corrupt?  I haven't found an answer yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

m_vargas:

Perhaps everyone recalling their activities prior to discovering there was a problem might help.   Here is my recall for your info and maybe future use.  And its possible none of what I recall was the trigger, but I use my Acrobat program several times a week to do simple pdf file creations from screen captures and jpegs so that I know that was working until these events.  Finding the flash problem was a by-product of seeking to solve the acrobat problem.  And the solution solved both problems.

In my case I believe a series of events somehow resulted in the corruption on October 20th.  I was signing an agreement with Comcast and saved a copy of it as a PDF using safari "export as pdf".  The pdf file came from a web site or program via the Comcast web site called DocuSign.  I opened it in my now old acrobat pro 9.5.5 which probably is not able to handle all the features available in the downloaded pdf, but the entire file of four pages was viewed ok which was all I needed.   While the pdf was open in acrobat I changed a preference in the preference menu (don't recall what).   Shortly (minute?) afterwards, the security update notice popped up that was dismissed without accepting.   Very soon (minute?) it crashed.  And following in efforts to recover (and believing that adobe programs might share a few key files) I tried to update/reload Flash which also failed.    I'm not positive on the security notice and preference sequence, might be the other way around.

Thanks to you and richardday108 and others for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for posting to the adobe community.  I had the same issue and it was your solution as well as charlesp63868842​ that solved my install problem!

I created a backup, then reinstalled OS X El Capitan, then reinstalled Flash.  Now it's working like a charm!

Thanks again!

L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear the solution worked for you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do any of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I stated in the other post, I link the problem to when I declined Adobe's notice to perform a security update that I received mid-day thursday October 20th, believing I could do later and that lead to all my Adobe software crashing and the inability to update or load Flash. It seems clear that there is a correlation with that Adobe security notification.

There is no correlation between declining to update Flash Player in the update notification window and Flash Player crashing or loading Flash.  The notification mechanism is separate from Flash Player play-back functionality.  I think this is more of a coincidence than anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you back up and reinstall OS X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Re backup and install:

BACKUP: Here's a backup method I use. I use a Western Digital (WD) My Passport external drive, about $80 from Best Buy.

-- Connect the drive to your Mac

-- Open Disk Utility, select the drive in its list of drives, and select Partition. You want to format it as Mac OS X (Journaled). (And check under Advanced that the drive will be GUID.)

-- I use SuperDuper!, a backup utility from Shirt-Pocket. Buy it online, and download it. If you set it to Smart Update, it will only copy what's changed each time it updates. You can also st it to automatically back up at scheduled times. Do a backup, which could take a few hours.

OK, that's backup. But just to test that you backed up properly, restart your Mac, holding down the Option key, and choose your backup disk THIS ONE TIME as your startup disk to start up your Mac. If that works, that means your backup is proper. Restart again and your Mac will restart as usual from its normal (internal) startup drive.

REINSTALL: as I mentioned above:

Hold down Command-R while restarting

From the little window that comes up, select Reinstall Mac OS X (or words to that effect). This will take a while, maybe an hour. Then restart.

Why did I say back up? Let's suppose something goes wrong during the reinstall. If that happened, restart, holding down the option key. Thanks to your wisdom in taking precautions, you can now restart from the backup drive. Then use SuperDuper! to Smart Update THIS ONE TIME FROM your backup disk TO your startup disk (where the reinstall problem occurred). Of course, normally you'll be backing up from your startup disk to your backup disk.

Back up regularly after that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines