Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I resize a graph?

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2009 Jun 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

how do I resize a graph? From what I can see, I can only set its size when I create it?

I guess I could Transform > Scale an existing graph - but I'd rather set a fixed width and height so I can keep the proportions right for when I import the graph into InDesign.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The final size of your graph depends amongst other things on the size of the type and the number of digits in the XY values. So rescaling with either the Scale ot Transform tools is almost always necessary. I suggest snapping ruler guides to a rectangle which is in the correct size may be a good idea. Then you can always snap your graph to fit to the guides. Be aware that simple scaling will result in the type becoming distorted. You can select the type by double (or treble)-clicking on one of the digits with the Direct Selection (white arrow) tool. That way you select the whole group to adjust the size of the type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the graph click on the graph tool in the tool bar there is an x axis settings for the drop down gives you some control.

So does the columns width settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also follow this:

Select the graph with the selection tool (v) -> Right click -> Scale-> uniform selection, input as 200% to double its size or 120% to increase the size by 20%. Click OK.

Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly. Better than all the other options.

Thank you so much ankitas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2016 Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that ungrouping the graph and then resizing as you would with a normal shape also works, but this makes it so you're no longer able to edit the data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the little spread sheet widget is running then it doesn't seem to work. Just closing that window will allow you to Ungroup the object and then you can resize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCALE TOOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why would anyway want to resize a graph after it's created?

*SARCASM*

Apparently the graph feature hasn't been updated in 20 years.

makes you wonder what they're doing all day.

What I do:

Set artboard to the size I want to drop into indesign as.

Create a graph

Use scale tool to resize graph to size

Leave the Y axis editable. (when you scale the graph it will scale the text too, I keep a copy of the axis text on the side, so after I scale, just select all the scaled text and eye drop the sample text.)

Labels I do as editable text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make that 26 years. 

The graph tool still sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting, slowed me down a ton today... Such a basic feature that I didn't realise wasn't there until I tried it today.

Adobe don't care about core product anymore, jump on the AI train, because that's the only place they want to go.

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Andre255276068av7  schrieb:

Such a basic feature that I didn't realise wasn't there until I tried it today.

The answer has been given in 2009 already: use the scale tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Group with another shape object (anything). Then use the Scale function from the dropdown menu.

Dragging from the transform corners won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines