Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animated GIFs in Indesign CC doc and export as Interactive PDF

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody!

Quite new to this..I tried to find something on this thread but I had no success:) This is my question: is it possible to place animated gifs within an InDesign CC document and then keep thee animation while exporting it as an Interactive PDF?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sarah

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is not possible as PDF does not know or recognize GIF animations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use Photoshop to convert your animated GIFs into a movie file. The preferred format is MP4 with H264 encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we converted it to .mp4, would it play within an Interactive PDF? Also, I used to make Interactive PDF's using Acrobat Pro but the button and properties tools are not there in the latest version. Did I miss something? Must I use InDesign now to make an Interactive PDF? Any other easy tools to make a quick mock-up of a 'page' that can show an animgif or video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are still buttons and other interactivity in the latest version of Acrobat DC Pro. (Make sure you have the Pro version. Standard doesn't create interactivity.)

MP4 can be included in interactive PDF, but it requires a PDF reader that supports it. Would work in Adobe Acrobat and free Adobe Reader. Not in may web browsers or third party PDF readers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that for media play you will have Flash to be installed. It was included in Acrobat 9 and X, but later it was removed because many companies did not want to have Flash installed on their computers.

Therefore it is impossible to play movies in a PDF on an tablet or smartphone or on any computer where it is not allowed to install Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat, Flash Player is not required to view video within a PDF, Quicktime and Windows Media Player are used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey_Smith  schrieb

In Acrobat, Flash Player is not required to view video within a PDF, Quicktime and Windows Media Player are used. 

Your statement ist wrong. You need to have Flash Player installed to run flash in Acrobat. Only Acrobat / Reader 9 and 10 had an inbuilt Flash Player. This was removed with version 11.

On mobile systems a PDF could never run any Flash or MP4 content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash or swf was never a part of this conversation. The original question was animated GIF in PDF, with suggestions to convert animated GIF to a video format. If OP uses this suggestion for a video in a PDF, then Flash Player is not required in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, You are wrong. Since Acrobat 11 a separate installation of Flash Player is a requirement.

Am 25.05.2017 um 16:27 schrieb Jeffrey_Smith <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Animated GIFs in Indesign CC doc and export as Interactive PDF

Antwort von Jeffrey_Smith <https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeffrey_Smith?et=watches.email.thread> in InDesign - Komplette Diskussion anzeigen <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9536362?et=watches.email.thread#9536362>

Flash or swf was never a part of this conversation. The original question was animated GIF in PDF, with suggestions to convert animated GIF to a video format. If OP uses this suggestion for a video in a PDF, then Flash Player is not required in Acrobat.

Sie können auf diese Nachricht antworten, indem Sie diese E-Mail beantworten oder die Nachricht unter Adobe Community aufrufen <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9536362?et=watches.email.thread#9536362>

Starten Sie eine neue Diskussion in InDesign per E-Mail <mailto:discussions-community-indesign@adobe-v8.hosted.jivesoftware.com> oder unter Adobe Community <https://forums.adobe.com/choose-container.jspa?contentType=1&containerType=14&container=3359&et=watches.email.thread>

Sie folgen Animated GIFs in Indesign CC doc and export as Interactive PDF <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9536362?et=watches.email.thread#9536362> in diesen Aktivitätenlisten: Posteingang

Diese E-Mail wurde Ihnen von Adobe Community gesendet, da Sie ein registrierter Benutzer sind.

Sie können sich sofort von Adobe Community abmelden <https://forums.adobe.com/unsubscribe.jspa?email=wilhelm%40adelberger.name&token=820756c79f42d342a824b7904181bff275152e55549987d39ea7c4f3a1338efb> oder die E-Mail-Häufigkeit in Ihren Einstellungen <https://forums.adobe.com/user-preferences!input.jspa> anpassen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willi, I am not trying to argue with you, I am just looking for a clarification on the Acrobat/Flash issue. Here is an article from Adobe help. The way I understand the article is that for flash content to be viewed in Acrobat DC, you will need to install Flash Player separately, it is not installed by default when installing Acrobat DC.

Perhaps this is different to the issue you have brought up, but I am interested to know...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everybody for your replies! I'll try using Photoshop to convert GIFs in movies and see what happens:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to post a new topic so i placed my inquiry here. Hi team! May I ask if there is already a resolution about embedding animated GIFs onto PDFs or Interactive PDFs? I'm trying to create newsletters using InDesign but from what I've read online dated 2016, Adobe doesn't recognize GIFs. I would appreciate if someone answers back regarding my inquiry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Animated GIFs are not part of the PDF specifications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use interactive PDF, use HTML5 instead. Either you could use Publish Online or you could use a 3rd Party Plugin for that purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It won't work in Interactive PDF.

Other options list here:

https://indesignsecrets.com/animated-gifs-indesign.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines