Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A series of issues installing CS6 on MacOS Sierra

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I recently reformatted my iMac and reinstalled macOS Sierra, but kept a backup of the \Applications\ and \Users\ directories on an external drive.

After reinstalling Sierra, I copied my old CS6 apps from the Applications folder backup. At this point, I couldn't open any of the apps - I tried InDesign and Photoshop, but I assume the others wouldn't work either. Upon opening the app, it would bounce in the dock for about half a second before completely disappearing without any error message appearing.

So I decided to remove all the CS6 files I had copied into the new Sierra installation (I still have them in my backup, though).

To do this, I tried to use the installation tool in \Applications\Utilities. That failed with some error message that I can no longer remember. I ended up just manually deleting the files.

I then installed CS6 using the Adobe CS6 Design and Web Premium .dmg file (originally downloaded from the Adobe website several years ago; I have had it on my external drive ever since then). The installation completed fine, but again apps wouldn't open. However, this time around, I was given the choice of reporting the error to Adobe, and it sent back a message saying that a fix had been found and that I needed to update.

I tried to then open the Adobe installation utility thing in \Applications\Utilities\ and tried to update, but that failed with an error (which, again, I can't remember).

I then manually downloaded the InDesign and Photoshop CS6 updates from the Adobe website. Both installers failed.

So... I have just deleted (via Finder) every CS6 file in my new Applications folder, and then downloaded the CS6 installer from the Adobe website. That keeps failing to install; I am now getting an error which says: "We've encountered the following issues - Installer failed to initialise. This could be due to a missing file. Please download Adobe Support Advisor to detect the problem." There is also a link to download ASA within the error message (which points here).

At some point in the process, I ended up downloading and using the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool. That cleaned three things. I then retried the CS6 installer, but it still failed.

The log file at "\Users\<username>\Library\Logs\Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool.log" has the following error:

2016-10-18 18:02:02.775 Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool[6731:218773] Error in opening HD database error = 11

At some other point, I remember reading on some Adobe support page, somewhere (can't remember where; I have looked at dozens of support pages today...) that there is a log file for the CS6 installer (at \Users\<username>\Library\Logs\PDApp.log. The last few lines have several errors from the last installation attempt:

Tue Oct 18 19:37:14 2016 [INFO] PIM - PIMSqlite closeDB status 0

Tue Oct 18 19:37:14 2016 [INFO] PIM - FREE PIM Instance ...

Tue Oct 18 19:40:09 2016 [INFO] Setup - Build Version - 6.0.335.0

Tue Oct 18 19:40:09 2016 [INFO] Setup - Logging Level verbosity Set  to 4

Tue Oct 18 19:40:09 2016 [INFO] Setup - TimeLog: Bootstrapper Start

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] Setup - TimeLog: Start initial checks

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] Setup - Launch Path set to /var/folders/cc/4zr5jvb91n1fqhlxt3q3lh1r0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/83847ED1-233D-4DD4-A0AA-15833D0C4494/d

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] Setup - Found 6 packages in setup manifest

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - Build Version - 6.0.335.0

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - Logging Level verbosity Set  to 4

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [WARN] PIM - Detected Old content in USF trying to delete it...

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [WARN] PIM - Successfully deleted old content...

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - Build Version - 6.0.335.0

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - Logging Level verbosity Set  to 4

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - CREATE PIM Instance ...

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - trying to createOrUpdatePIMDbSchema.

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - SUCCESS Created Tables.

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - PIM Database is Up To Date.

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] PIM - Updater Inventory location:/var/folders/cc/4zr5jvb91n1fqhlxt3q3lh1r0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/83847ED1-233D-4DD4-A0AA-15833D0C4494/d/Install.app/Contents/Frameworks/UpdaterInventory.framework/UpdaterInventory

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [FATAL] PIM - ERROR invalid xml file path. Could not read data from path /var/folders/cc/4zr5jvb91n1fqhlxt3q3lh1r0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/83847ED1-233D-4DD4-A0AA-15833D0C4494/d/packages/core/PDApp.pimx

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [FATAL] PIM - Error Description Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “PDApp.pimx” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo={NSFilePath=/var/folders/cc/4zr5jvb91n1fqhlxt3q3lh1r0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/83847ED1-233D-4DD4-A0AA-15833D0C4494/d/packages/core/PDApp.pimx, NSUnderlyingError=0x71cb10 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 "No such file or directory"}}

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [ERROR] PIM - Error couldnot initialize XML. Improper xml file.

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [ERROR] Setup - Error in initialization. Manifest parsing failed.

Tue Oct 18 19:40:10 2016 [INFO] Setup - TimeLog: End initial checks

Tue Oct 18 19:50:42 2016 [INFO] Setup - =================  Exiting Installer with Code: 0  =================

I have tried searching for those error messages in this support page, but couldn't find anything about the errors.

Can anyone please help me out and suggest possible fixes for my installation problems?

Thanks in advance.

David Hunter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Actually, I was having what I thought were unrelated issues with macOS Sierra, and Apple advised me to reinstall Sierra (reboot, hold down Command+R, then click the reinstall Sierra button when the recovery partition loads).

Reinstalling macOS Sierra solved my issues with CS6 - I have been able to reinstall the suite without any errors now.

Thank you Jeff and Ned for your thoughts.

@elisad52094550 ... hopefully this can also fix your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, Ned. I tried the tips in that link, but had the same error as I described in the OP.

Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Hunter LaTrobe your difficultly likely is occurring due to performing the following step:

"After reinstalling Sierra, I copied my old CS6 apps from the Applications folder backup."

If you have already tried using the CC Cleaner Tool available at Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems​ then I would recommend you begin the installation process for macOS 10.12 again.  This time do not copy the Application files and User directories but instead reinstall the applications using the steps listed by Ned in message #1.

Adobe applications are designed to be installed not copied.  Historically doing the steps you have described has lead to unexpected behavior and at best case often leads to Configuration Error 16 when launching the applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff: as I explained in my original post, that's exactly what I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Hunter LaTrobe if you are able to invoke the installer then you may be facing other installation errors. I would recommend reviewing the installation logs for the specific errors preventing the installation.  In specific I would review any relevant product installation logs, as opposed to the PDApp.log.  You can find details on how to locate and interpret the log files at Troubleshoot install issues with log files in Adobe Creative Suite (CS6, CS5.5, CS5), PS Elements, a...​.

You are welcome to post any additional errors you discover to this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am Having the same problem...I would love to find a solution as well : /

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elisad52094550: I am yet  to get this to work on my Sierra install directly. But as I desperately needed it for work, I got a bit creative. I already owned VMWare Fusion, so I created a VM and installed Sierra on that, and was able to install CS6 on the VM.

It's not ideal, but it's a workaround for the time being. Hopefully this may help you until an actual fix is determined.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Actually, I was having what I thought were unrelated issues with macOS Sierra, and Apple advised me to reinstall Sierra (reboot, hold down Command+R, then click the reinstall Sierra button when the recovery partition loads).

Reinstalling macOS Sierra solved my issues with CS6 - I have been able to reinstall the suite without any errors now.

Thank you Jeff and Ned for your thoughts.

@elisad52094550 ... hopefully this can also fix your problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2016 Dec 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I hope I can get help please as I have been going crazy and spoken to Adobe and Apple and no-one is able to help me.

I am using MacBook and running MacOsSierra 10.12.2. The security settings in that operating system has been updated and it only allows for applications to be installed from App Store or App Store and Identified developers. No third Option "Anywhere" is longer available. (see below)  I have downloaded CS5 to my computer and have tried to install it and get following errors: see below:

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 12.46.08.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 12.02.42.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 12.02.53.png

Please help me as i miss using my Photoshop CS5 and Bridge .

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From How to Disable Gatekeeper in macOS Sierra - TekRevue :

Thankfully, the “Anywhere” setting can be restored to Gatekeeper in Sierra with a Terminal command. First, quit System Preferences if it’s open and then open a new Terminal window. Enter the following command, followed by your admin password when prompted.

But you have a bigger issue ahead of you than dealing with Gatekeeper—CS5 is not supported on Sierra. It may run, but it's not likely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you BarbBinder, I was able to get the security restored, however still getting the same ISSUE. My CS5 worked on my Mac after I installed macOS Sierra 10.12.2 However it wouldn't update. I was recommended to reinstall the Operating system and the application. And hence now have that error. Bugger.

I do have a backup i just remembered of my Adobe photoshop CS5, can I just re-install that? Sorry never dealt with backups before.

Thank you so much for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try, but since CS5 is not supported on Sierra, it is not likely to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anastasial38818126 have you downloaded a fresh copy of the installation files for Creative Suite 5 from Download Adobe Creative Suite 5 product​.  The security certificates for several of the Creative Suite releases were updated.  If you are installing from a DVD/CD then you may have the older security certificate as part of your installation files.  The retail installation files available at  Download Adobe Creative Suite 5 products contain the updated certificate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I Am trying to DL Creative Suit Design Premium from the website, but it's saying that there is no certificate. When I try to overwrite it in the terminal it's saying there is no such file or directory. How do I get around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines