Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Edit a Form in Adobe Acrobat Pro Xi - use Livecycle

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was advised to buy Adobe Pro XI yesterday by the Direct Sales Adobe team because it includes "everything I need" to create and EDIT PDF forms.  I actually rang up to buy X but was told it was now XI.

I tried to edit a form today and got this message:

"this form cannot be edited in Acrobat. Please use Adobe Livecycle Designer to edit this form"

I was told this was included in Pro but can't get past this message.  I previously had a trial of Adobe Pro X and WAS able to edit this very form.

It is very frustrating.  I cannot edit anything I have been working on.

FormsCentral seems too basic as I need to be able to edit the field name in the properties of the field.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

David

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

LiveCycle Designer used to be included as a part of Acrobat Pro, but that

is no longer the case with Acrobat XI. You'll need to purchase it

separately if you wish to edit LC PDF forms... Of course, you can still

create PDF forms in Acrobat itself, but since the two types of forms are

not compatible, you can't edit forms that were created in LC using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LiveCycle Designer used to be included as a part of Acrobat Pro, but that

is no longer the case with Acrobat XI. You'll need to purchase it

separately if you wish to edit LC PDF forms... Of course, you can still

create PDF forms in Acrobat itself, but since the two types of forms are

not compatible, you can't edit forms that were created in LC using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an awful experience with Adobe today. Cut off several times, contradictory answers.  That is the first clear answer I have had.

So basically, everything was fine on X but the purchased of XI has messed everything up.  Can't even download and buy Livecycle now, keeps referring me off to Digital Enterprise Platform with no purchase or trial link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the Chat Representative has just cut off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George Johnson replied to a question I had about this very issue a couple

of weeks ago and said you can purchase it for $29 (

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4740721#4740721)... The only thing I could

find on the website was Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES3, and that costs

$300... (the webpage is not working at the moment, but that's the price I

saw a moment ago when I clicked the Buy Now button, here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/designer/)

Maybe he can help clear up this situation...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George's statement about the price of LiveCycle Designer was for the upgrade price (converting LCD ES2 to LCD ES3). The full retail price of LCD ES3 is USD $299.

Acrobat X Pro and Acrobat X Suite customers who upgrade to Acrobat XI Pro are also eligible for a free upgrade to LCD ES3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies.  The Volume Sales Team converted my XI serial umber to a X serial number and I have gone back to Pro X.  All working well, I am now starting work.  At 13.43 rather than 08.30...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues I use both the Acrobat X I got LiveCycle with my Acrobat Pro 9 licence together.. It was was working with X. Now I installed the XI upgrade and it deleted my LiveCycle install completely?  How do I go about this free upgrade.  I can not be spending all this on products I use only occasionaly The "very basic" Acrobat forms are fine for my every day work but I depend on Livecycle for the more complex stuff.

Please advise or share a link to the free upgrade. I can not fine it however I have downloaded a 60 day trial I have yet to install of ES3.  Funny the download was from an old Macromedia server URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2012 Oct 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donbear,

On the FAQ page ( http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/faq.html ) under General there is a blurb about who is eligible for the free LCD upgrade and a link (free upgrade) to a Customer Support form.  I guess you will have to complete that form and see who gets back to you.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

WindJack Solutions

www.pdfscripting.com

www.windjack.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You think that is bad... I had LiveCycleDesigner installed with my Creative Cloud set and Acrobat X, then I saw the upgrade because again I'm on Creative Cloud... Next thing I know it uninstalled my LCD and I cannot find a way to reinstall.

That is what is confusing... I thought since I had the Creative cloud that it would be included

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2016 Oct 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been looking for Live Cycle on creative cloud. Has it been removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2016 Oct 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was never a part of CC. You need to purchase it separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2012 Nov 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We created forms in acrobat 9 pro and now with XI pro cannot edit them.  Error message states that livecycle designer is required to edit forms previously created in acrobat.  Called tech support and waited for over an hour before being told that another product needed to be purchased for $300 more than the upgrade cost for acrobat pro XI!!!  From the XI FAQ - The web site states:

The following customers are eligible for a free upgrade:

• Customers who purchased a prior license to Acrobat and have purchased an upgrade to Acrobat XI Pro
  • Customers who have an Adobe Maintenance and Support contract or purchased Upgrade Plan eligible for an Acrobat XI Pro upgrade
  • Active Creative Cloud Complete members whose memberships started before October 15, 2012

The one-time LiveCycle Designer upgrade is available in English, French, German, or Japanese. Eligible customers can choose which language they would like to receive. Visit the Customer Support Portal to request an upgrade.

After entering in the needed info on the support portal was told that adobe will Not honor the sales rep & web site which both said we are eligible for the free upgrade.  We asked for a full refund and will not longer be using any new adobe products.  We went back to 9 pro forms work fine and adobe lost $.  Nice work adobe - lie to customers and then act surprised that the customers want their $ back!  They told us to just toss their software DVD in the trash where IT belongs, so we did!

Cheers,

Actiondan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was looking forward to trying Acrobat XI due to the editing features. Im a form designer and i develop them in LiveCycle Designer but what happens after a form is done, i sent it to translation services. I though i might have the translators on Acrobat PRO XI and they could just ahead an do their editing.

But i get that "To edit this form, you need to use LCD).

i dont want to have translator use LCD as they endup having access to everything? Is there maybe a way to work around that at all?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and searched for many hours for a solution without luck.  I then realized all I had to do is was upload the file to PDFSplit online and have them split the PDF into separate the files.  It then let me sign and edit text in the PDF.  When I was done, I just used a PDF Joiner online to join the files back up again. 

Hopefully this helps any frustration that future users may have. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used "PDFill PDF Tools" (freeware) to merge the pdf file with an additional single page pdf. After that i removed the page with the tool's split functionality. The result is editable with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2016 Feb 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to ulih58730976 I managed to join and split a form using another pdf merge and split tool.

Could not quite edit the graphics behind but managed to get the job done and dusted, far easier than recreating from scratch!

Great 'answers' forum

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed the LCD PDF as a PDF and then was able to open the new file and all the fields were editable.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve L wrote:

I printed the LCD PDF as a PDF and then was able to open the new file and all the fields were editable.

You will lost all form fields, associated calculations, and other features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct however, I was not interested in preserving the forms functionality or redistribution for anyone else to fill out. I only wanted to edit the information already entered and add an image so if all that is required is an edit of the existing information then this method worked for me and I trust it may help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editable, perhaps, with Acrobat Pro. Fillable, with any app, especially with Reader, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2016 Oct 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And notice the product name is LiveCycle Designer. LiveCycle alone is a suite of apps, costing much much more than CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save your form as Word document and re open with acrobat all the form field are there , you need to add the properties

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an easy solution that doesn't involve buying LiveCycle Designer.

With the document open in Acrobat Pro DC, select File -> Print

Select "save as PDF" as the printer.

Name the file (different from the original) and give it a location.

Open the saved file in Acrobat Pro DC. Now you can add text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines