• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do I find my InDesign recovery folder for Windows 10 (CC)?

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have damaged files and InDesign keeps crashing. I'm unable to open the files through any of the optionss.

I have read several of the available links, but they do not seem to address Windows 10.

I cannot find my recovery folder.

Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#.0]\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Leslee,

The exact recovery folder location can be found through InDesign preferences.

Go to Edit > Preferences > File Handling

There you will see the Document Data Recovery Folder location.

Please visit the following page if you are looking for further info around the same:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/indesign-document-recovery.html

Regards

Pragya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way you'll find the "exact recovery folder location" here is if the path is short enough to fit in the area where the path is displayed in the UI (which it most certainly is not). Otherwise you'll see only a portion of the beginning and end of the path, such as:

"C:\User...ersion 11.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery"

And, as you can tell, this is not at all helpful in digging down to the recovery folder. Contrary to popular practice, hovering your mouse over this does not reveal the entire path. Upon clicking "Browse...", an explorer window pops up to the most recently visited location, which will most likely not be your recovery folder. After that, you'll probably Google something like "Windows 10 InDesign Recovery path" and end up in this thread, which is a dead end—especially seeing as the "further info" link you've provided does not contain any information on the InDesign recovery location on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct default paths are listed in Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your preferences

Unless you deliberately move it, the recovery folder will be in the same Caches folder as the InDesign SavedData file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone looking for the InDesign Recovery folder in order to delete the files, I likewise was unable to see the whole path in Preferences -> File Handling, but when I opened InDesign again a prompt came up with the option to Delete all Recovery Files (the second on the list). I did this and so far I haven't crashed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#.0]\en_US\Caches\InDesign Recovery

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines