• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple/broken/repeated listings in Search results

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2008 Jul 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I recently switched from RH 6 to RH 7 and when I generate a project, I'm now getting multiple repeats in my search results. For example, if I did a search on "Laboratory processes," it will appear three (or more) times in my search list (though not all bunched together). One of those links will take me to the right place. The others will have the "You've reached a broken link" page. I've already gone through and fixed *all* broken links in the document. RoboHelp even says there are no broken links. What could be causing this? I already read the "Multiple search results" topic on here, and this is *not* my issue. Any responses will be appreciated!
~ Heather in NC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for giggles, Heather (and I think it may very well solve the problem...), make a backup of your project, then rename the CPD file and reenter your project. I think the CPD data got scrambled in the upgrade, or was already scrambled and didn't complain until the upgrade. I'll bet you a cookie this fixes it.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, what's a CPD file? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPD file is in your project directory. For example, if your project is called Accounting, the file to look is Accounting.cpd. Make a complete project backup, rename or delete the CPD file, and open the project again.

The CPD file is a database, sorta, that keeps track of where everything is in your project. It's a little cranky, and every once in a while has to be reindexed (renamed) to cure any one of a host of neuroses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Laurin, thanks for the chuckle. You are correct in that the CPD file is a database. And that's precisely what it is! It's a Microsoft Access database. These normally have a file extension of .MDB. RoboHelp HTML used to use these with a custom extension of .MPJ. Then things changed and XML entered the picture. Hence the change to .XPJ. But the .MPJ file is still around. He just had his name changed. He is now known as the .CPD. I'm speculating a bit on this, but I believe the .CPD means "Cache Project Database.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this didn't change anything. I opened Exporer, right-clicked on the project folder, made a copy, pasted it into the directory. Then I opened the "real" project folder, changed the CPD file name to "Test" (just to change it to something), closed Explorer, and opened the project in RH. Ran the compiler and... same deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<I opened Exporer, right-clicked on the project folder, made a copy, pasted it into the directory. >> Does this mean that you copied the project back into itself? I hope not...

As for the rename - did you change the file name or the extension?
I should have been more clear.

First, make a complete copy of your project, and save it somewhere else. Far away.

Then, rename <<project>>.cpd to <<project>>.bad. Or old. Or yuck. Whatever. But rename the extension.

If you didn't do this, try again. I might just be misunderstanding your last reply, so feel free to clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Heather,

Here's another thread that discusses the same issue:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=450&threadid=1362525

In that case — and this is the usual reason why the results of a search contain duplicated and broken entries — the writer had inavertently created some hyperlinks to topics that were above the root folder of the help project.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had indeed changed the name of the file, not the extension. I tried that, changing it to "BAD" and had no change. No worries- I did not save the folders inside the folders. They are separate folders (though they're not far, far away). We're working off the C: drive here, but everything has its own folder.

I don't undestand the whole root/upstream thing, or how I know if something's out of the root. Or where I'd look to see where else it would be or how it would have gotten there. Thanks for hanging in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, let's back up a little. You say you came up from RH6 to RH7. Everything worked well back in 6... did you make any other changes as you migrated up to 7? I didn't get a sense of that, which is why I didn't start with investigating paths and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, no other changes. And weirdly, out of 7 projects, this is the only one this is happening in. Albeit, it's the biggest one we have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both these facts - there were no other changes (file/project name or location, etc.) and that it only happens on one project still point me towards the CPD file. But that's just me - maybe someone else has some ideas.

Question: The first time you tried the rename, we know now that you left the cpd extension. So, on the second attempt, did you work with the same group of project files, or revert back to your original project as saved in your backup?

If you worked with the same fileset, I would restore my backup, to be back at the very beginning, and rename the cpd file extension (or really, you can just delete it...) and try opening the project again, while waiting for some more guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'm home now with two strikes against me- dial-up AND no RoboHelp, so I'll try these things in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lucky you! I'm still at work, with two chms to whip out before I leave.
Zzzzzzzz.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2008 Jul 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the CPD file as recommended. But everytime the file compiles, it generates a new one. And... same result. (Multiple/broken search entries.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the CPD is supposed to rebuild - so that's a good thing. And now, we can rule that out as being the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heather, have you explored the option Pete popped in to suggest? If not, you really should investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RoboWizard. As I posted after Pete's post, I don't understand how to figure out if something is "above" or out of the root or any of that. I don't SEE anything outside the folder, but I don't really know what to look for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Heather

This could prove to be a bit on the tricksy side. Here's why. RoboHelp HTML has traditionally presented dialogs we may see from time to time that advise us when things like this are outside the project. The problem with this is that the dialogs also offer a nifty little check box that says "Don't show this again". And if you were to click and place a check mark inside the check box, you quite literally will never see the dialog again. And there is no simple way to get it back. You have to edit your Windows Registry.

The bottom line here is that you have some investigative work to do to determine where these references are coming from. Perhaps try clicking Tools > Reports > Missing Topic References as a start.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That HAS happened! I DO remember that message, about things being outside the project, esp having to do with some blue bullets I am using. There have been a few other files that popped up with too. Oh man. I bet that is it. I hear you're never to touch the Registry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh darn, I don't have any missing topic references.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather

Do you have another author there? Any way to open this project on a different PC? My thinking here is as follows.

If you are hesitant to edit the registry, this might show up on a different PC.

If you want to try and edit the registry (it's not really that bad) take a look at fellow Adobe Community Expert Peter Grainge's site at the link below and explore Snippet 13.

http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

What is this output type?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

question - are you compiling a chm file, or are you generating and publishing a web-based WebHelp system?

Cuz if you are publishing to the web, I wonder if you could go into Windows Explorer, BACKUP the current folder set for the published Help, then delete it entirely from its standard location - and publish again to put a fresh project out there. Maybe there is some junk left over from older iterations?

Anyone see any problems with that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's both. We publish in both CHM and WebHelp. I do a batch generate usually, but in this case, I've just been doing the CHM file and it's still having the issues.

FYI- when you use terms like "backup the current folder"... I'm not sure many people really get that. To me, it means "make a copy of it" and that's what I do. So right now in my documents tree, I've got the regular folder and then the "Copy of regular folder" etc. If you mean something different, please elaborate.

Thanks for continuing on the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other authors, no other RH users. Just me. No way to open it on any other computer. I am SURE this has SOMETHING to do with the move from RH 6 to RH 7, even though it didn't affect the other files. I'm going to pass on anything to do with the Registry.

Output type is CHM and WebHelp. The multiple search results occur in both formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp