• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Flash Player keep sending me notifications to update to the version I already have?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does Flash Player keep sending me notifications to update to the version I already have? The result is always an error message telling me that the version is already running. (Desktop Computer; Windows Vista OS; Firefox; Adobe Flash Version 11.8.800.94)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know; can you post a screenshot of such a notification?

Did you update both ActiveX (for Internet Explorer) and plugin (for Firefox)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem, too. Using Safari 10.0. I have updated it 3 times today, yet I still get what looks to be legitimate notifications. How can I make these stop. Here is a screenshot. The update version ends in 85, I think.Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 7.00.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please go to System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab.  Post a screenshot of the updates tab

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you requested . . . Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 1.27.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting the screenshot.

Based on the screenshot you have both the NPAPI plugin (for Firefox, Safari) and the PPAPI plugin (for Opera and Chromium-based browsers) installed.  The NPAPI plugin has been updated to the latest version, 23.0.0.185, but the PPAPI plugin is still the previous version, 23.0.0.162.  Updating the PPAPI plugin to the latest version, 23.0.0.185 would stop the update notifications.

Another option is to opt into Background Updates (update option = Allow Adobe to install updates (recommmended) in that Updates tab window).  The Background Update mechanism updates Flash Player silently in the background (with no user interaction) within 24 hours of a new version of Flash Player being released, and all plugin types (e.g. NPAPI, PPAPI) are updated.  The Notification Update mechanism (what you have now) can take up to 7 days to notify you that an update is available.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even have any browsers other than Safari and Firefox! So why I should even have the PPAPI plug-in at all is a mystery. Can I delete it?

The reason I don't let it update automatically is that it was told in my Mac user group that that wasn't a good idea and that even the reminders to update can come from bogus sources so it was recommended to always go to the website directly and update from there. Of course, you know that Apple tries to get you not to install Flash Player because it is so dangerous and insecure. And I wouldn't use it except for my inability to read my newspaper without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You must have installed the PPAPI plugin at some point in time.  You can certainly uninstall it if you don't use it.  However, at this time we don't offer an option to uninstall just the PPAPI (or NPAPI) plugin on Mac and the uninstaller uninstalls both if they are both installed on the system.  You'll have to install the NPAPI plugin after.  Please do the following:

1. Download the uninstaller from Uninstall Flash Player for Mac OS
  2. Launch Safari or Firefox and download the NPAPI installer from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
  3. Quit all browsers
  4. Run the uninstaller downloaded in step 1
  5. After the uninstaller finishes, run the installer downloaded in step 2

When installing you'll be prompted to select an update option.  The default is 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)'.  This option will install Flash Player silently in the background within 24 hours of an update being available.  If you're worried about installing a fake Flash Player (totally understandable) opting into Background Updates is the best option.  I've seen many reports of users clicking 'download' on a fake Flash Player update notification, or being directed to a fake Flash Player download page.  You'd be surprised how creative some of these people are in making their fake notifications and download pages look like official Adobe Flash Player notifications and download pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines