• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra and InDesign CS6 - LOCKED

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else experienced difficulties with the panels in InDesign CS6 not opening and changing when required? The only thing I haven't tried yet is full deletion and re-installation. I'd rather not go through that process. It is slowing my work down. No such problem with Photoshop CS6 or Illustrator CS6.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

CS6 is not even supported with El Capitan. Don't expect that it will work with Sierra.

Downgrade your computer to 10.10 or upgrade to a CC subscription. CS6 and Sierra is unsupported. It might work, but if not, you are alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is not even supported with El Capitan. Don't expect that it will work with Sierra.

Downgrade your computer to 10.10 or upgrade to a CC subscription. CS6 and Sierra is unsupported. It might work, but if not, you are alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Willi. I have got InDesign CS6 to work with macOS Sierra but have to allow time for the panels to work. You are correct about it not being supported from El Capitan onwards. However, I noted this info on Apple Community support by JimmyCMPIT's Profile    |                Communities :

CS6 and 10.11 have not been claimed by Adobe to be compatible at this time.

Some here have claimed to be able to use CS6 in 10.11 without incident, others haven't.

What you can try is

a) launch the InDesign application from the applications folder (this will not work on a shortcut or the dock icon)while holding down SHIFT+CTRL+OPT+CMD

this will reset the preferences

b) try using the application from a newly created account that has administrative rights

c) reinstall the CS6 package and if the application asks for JAVA use this version:

Java for OS X 2015-001

d) roll back to an instance of your computer where the OS and the Application were stable if you have a time machine backup of that point in time.

I have completed a, b and c and removed a few suggested apps that eat memory and cpu time. It has improved but not totally fixed the problem. I can now work with it with a modicum of patience.

Sun 25 Sep 2016

Having done some more research this afternoon on memory management and Sierra I have discovered that woodmeister50 had given me a great lead. I opened Activity Monitor and TinkerToolSystem 5 and ran a few tests looking at memory usage. TTS5 revealed the following:

tts5.jpg

So I removed any low priority and overly greedy login items from my system and a few hardly-used 3rd party System Preference Panes. The result still registered as FAIR but now IDCS6 works as it did before with no noticeable delays. I guess I have come up with an answer for my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm interpreting your issue correctly and it is the panels that are slow to open (they open eventually but take quite a while) then there is something else that you may like to try.

Open Activity Monitor and quite the 'fontd' process. This is something that has been causing problems for Indesign CS6 for some years now.

So quit Indesign, open Activity Monitor and quit 'fontd', then relaunch Indesign. It should be back to full speed.

You could also look at whether you might have duplicate fonts in your system. Since Mavericks this has also been the cause of this sort of behaviour in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks flaming1, it totally solved the problem for me !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra and InDesign CS6 - Panel Problems?

How u solve it?

OR HELP ME HOW TO Downgrade MY computer to os x yosemite

I HAVEN'T ANY BACKUP

WHERE I GET os x yosemite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2016 Oct 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you flaming1 fixed my issue too! Saved me from having to buy CC which I don't really need right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're both very welcome. I'm glad it's helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you flaming1! Your answer worked for me!

Instead of jumping on the Adobe bandwagon to push CC, it is nice to have someone that tries to answer the original question. We have several computers running Sierra and CS6 without problems. This is the first issue we have encountered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this works.

Nice to know the claims of ID CS6 not being compatible are false.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These claims are not false "9x12sderw" – it's true that CS6 is not supported under El Capitan and later. Some users seem to run it without any problems but it causes lots of issues for some, and users need to be alerted, especially if their software is mission critical!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agee with Derek. Some seem work with CS6 successfully under El Capitan, then suddenly start to have problems. If you look at the postings on this forum, we have new reports every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's probably true Steve, but if you look again at the postings on this forum you will find that there are also new reports every day of CC problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference: The CS6 problems will never be fixed.

The CC problems are getting bug fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to Downgrade your computer to 10.10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Do a complete backup. I would use an external drive (these days quite inexpensive).

2. Erase your hard disk.

3. Do a clean install of 10.10. It's easiest if you have already downloaded Yosemite before. Otherwise, there are other ways of getting it. See this article:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-install-el-capitan-yosemite-snow-leopard -old-vers...

4. Copy your data from the external drive onto your hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem initially when I updated to El Capitan. I eventually tried shutting down the computer (not a restart), left it off for 10 mins and started up the mac, and opened Indesign CS6 it started and performed normally. Every now and again if I restart indesign the problem happens again, but a complete shut down and leaving it off for 10 mins or so seems to do the trick. I am worried about updating to Mac OS Sierra though!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using CS6 without issues on Sierra.

The only problem I had was the hesitation on the panels displaying and that was solved by turning off fontd in the Activity Monitor.

Does anybody know of a way to permanently disable fontd?

There is little I can see about CC that would motivate me to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apart from the earlier possible issues mentioned. InDesign CC2015 has excellent facilities for creating ePubs and Publish Online. For those who don't need these features the only reason to upgrade is operating system support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though turning off fontd fixes the problem, it is only a temporary fix.

There is a very good chance that a duplicate font is causing your problems, so I would recommend having a good look at your fonts.

I have found that font management software can also be the culprit. Try removing any font management software you are using and see if the problem goes away. If it does then have a discussion with the developers of your font management software and see if they can suggest any causes/fixes.

In my case I've found that they are still actively supporting CS6 as they recognise that a significant number of us aren't ever going to change to CC.

Indesign CS6 is running VERY fast on my Retina iMac with Sierra. I'd say it runs even better with Sierra than it did with El Capitan. But I emphasise that this is just my personal experience. It may not work the same for others.

CS6 may not be getting bug fixes, but at least it doesn't have bugs getting added all the time like CC does

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help me with InDesign CS6 on osSierra (MacBookPro 2015). All of the other CS 6 apps seem to be working fine but InDesign application and all fonts are bitmapping...any advice how to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is not and never will be supported under El Capitan and Sierra. Additionally, CS6 was never optimized for retina displays.

Your only solution for this particular problem is to move to Creative Cloud or learn to live with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having many difficulties with CS6 InDesign in Sierra on my iMac. Excrutiatingly slow panels, dps overlays not working. I basically couldn't work. But today's update fixed everything and it's now lightning fast. Worth a download!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines