• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ADE 4.5.2 Hangs in Win 10

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed ADE 4.5.2 and started having issues immediately with book borrowed from my public library.

I've uninstalled it twice and tried to reinstall, but experience the same issue.

it seems hand and not let me do anything

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

OK folks ... got it to work.

Uninstalled ADE's then manually searched and deleted all remnants including book etc.

Then did a registry search and manually deleted all reference to the product [backed up full registry first].

Then rebooted and did a clean product install.

Now it works as expected  .. case answered and closed 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are used which operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, which I have been using successfully with ADE and the ereader

although I did update Windows 10 a couple of days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has you check if older version of DIgital Edition work? (3.0)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried ADE 3 and that behaved exactly the same as 4.5.2. That is, it

doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has you both version install on the same device to the same time? That not right work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I deleted each version before I installed the alternative. That is, I

deleted 4.5.2 to install 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3.0 makes no problem under my Windows 10. That is strange. Has you try right click on Digital Edition and run as admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK folks ... got it to work.

Uninstalled ADE's then manually searched and deleted all remnants including book etc.

Then did a registry search and manually deleted all reference to the product [backed up full registry first].

Then rebooted and did a clean product install.

Now it works as expected  .. case answered and closed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you had to delete the copies of the ebooks saved on your computer in order to reinstall ADE and get it to work? I've got hundreds of ebooks on my computer so I'm hesitant to go this route, but can't get ADE to open on my computer for the last seven days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK  .. I see where you’re coming from so let me fully explain why my solution worked for me and why you may need to modify it for yourself.

First we need to understand the use case.  I use ADE solely for borrowing books from my local public library. Borrowed books incorporate DRM together with a time limit that the books can be read.  For books that I own (purchased) I use Calibre for E-book management as it is richer and more flexible in that it allows for the incorporation of notes and reviews plus other proprietary information it also allows for the creation of my own publications with a built in epub editor. This is not meant to be a review of the pro and cons of either product but rather an explanation of the use case.

As such, once books are returned to the library or the permitted DMR time limit has expired the books are of no use because they can’t be read.  Deleting them from the ADE Library still leaves remnants within the install directory and the target directory for saved books.  Just uninstalling ADE leaves those Remnants.  The manual elimination will remove all.  In your case, I would copy your library to a separate directory not associated with ADE to preserve them.  One caution, if you purchased books came with DRM you should check with your source supplier about the feasibility of re-downloading.

Once this is accomplished and you have fully backed up your library you will need to back up your registry before you attempt to manually
modify it.  The reason a registry modification is necessary is that the Adobe uninstall does not fully uninstall registry components.  To be fair I don’t even know if this step is necessary but I did it because of past history with Adobe products.  They have a “Clean Uninstall”
utility but I was too lazy to look for it and didn’t know if one exists for this product.  I wanted to get as close to a clean installation as possible with as little iteration as possible.  Therefore, I opted for overkill.

I worked for me and I hope this gives you insight into my rational so that you can make a procedural value judgement for your case.

Good Luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all this, reinstalled ADE and when I download the EPUB files from the library, they show in my "downloads". When I went to move the files in my file explorer to ADE (because this doesn't seem to happen automatically) I got "Error: Check activation". so, I then reauthorised my computer and ereader for ADE and FINALLY have been able to transfer the books to ADE and into the ereader. It seems that "activation" and "authorization" mean the same, although I did not initially assume that.

I don't know if agreeing to accept the Norton antivirus software (which I really didin't want to do because they are so hard to get rid of) was critical or the finding the numerous .acsm and .epub files was the key. However, many thanks to all helpers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2016 Oct 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This utility might be useful

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product

Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all the Norton products from your computer. You can use Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product.

After you run the Norton Removal Tool and restart the computer,download and reinstall the Norton product from your Norton Management portal. If you need help accessing Norton Management, read I want more help with Norton Management.

Norton Removal Tool works only on Windows.

For Mac products,
read
Uninstalling your Norton product for Mac.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls Norton AntiVirus, Norton
Internet Security, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks from your computer.

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool.

Save the file to the Windows desktop.

1. On the Windows
    desktop, double-click the Norton Removal Tool icon.
  2. Follow the on-screen
    instructions.
  3. Restart your computer.

Your computer may be
restarted more than once, and you may be asked to repeat some steps after the
computer restarts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2016 Oct 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed explanation -- it makes sense, and I'm *gulp* going to give it a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines