Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 23.0.0.205 - ActiveX standalone installer failing

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I downloaded the "distribution" MSI to push it out to devices in my Enterprise.  the NPAPI installer works just fine, but the ActiveX installer is failing regardless of whether I run it as an administrator, run it manually (GUI), or run it silently.

The same error appears in the installation log every time I run it.  The exit code returned is 1603, but scrolling up in the log reveals it's a problem with "NewCustomAction1".

See below...

MSI (s) (B0:20) [13:45:22:846]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=NewCustomAction1,,)

MSI (s) (B0:20) [13:45:22:849]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=NewCustomAction1,ActionType=3090,Source=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\{6E6D2BB7-B844-4842-B62D-0A7F0AA7884E}\InstallAX_23_0_0_205.exe,Target=-install -msi -prev 18.0.0.203,)

MSI (s) (B0:20) [13:45:31:658]: Note: 1: 1722 2: NewCustomAction1 3: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\{6E6D2BB7-B844-4842-B62D-0A7F0AA7884E}\InstallAX_23_0_0_205.exe 4: -install -msi -prev 18.0.0.203

CustomAction NewCustomAction1 returned actual error code 1031 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

MSI (s) (B0:20) [13:45:31:659]: Product: Adobe Flash Player 23 ActiveX -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action NewCustomAction1, location: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\{6E6D2BB7-B844-4842-B62D-0A7F0AA7884E}\InstallAX_23_0_0_205.exe, command: -install -msi -prev 18.0.0.203

Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action NewCustomAction1, location: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\{6E6D2BB7-B844-4842-B62D-0A7F0AA7884E}\InstallAX_23_0_0_205.exe, command: -install -msi -prev 18.0.0.203

I get this error when I run through the GUI:

adobeflash.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Hi peterl6648231 ,

As of Windows 8, Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX Control in IE and Edge browser on Windows 10, and all Flash Player ActiveX Control updates are released by Microsoft via Windows update.  The Flash Player ActiveX installer will not install Flash Player ActiveX on Windows 10 system.  The EXE installer displays a message stating this immediately, but it looks like the MSI installer isn't doing this, and instead fails with a generic error.  I'll file an internal bug to fix th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'll need to get the entire verbose MSI install log file with extra debugging option enabled (Logging options v and x) and the FlashInstall.log file for the same installation attempt.  The files, especially the verbose MSI log file, will be very large. Please upload the files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

Also provide the following information:

• OS, including version of the impacted systems (and 32- or 64-bit arch)
  • Is the behaviour only observed when upgrading from 18.0.0.203 to 23.0.0.205, or does it affect other upgrade paths?

Thank you

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

I've rerun the installation with the debugging option added.

You can find the FlashInstall.log files and the MSI log at this link:  Shared Files - Acrobat.com

The OS I've tested this on is Windows 10 64 bit. 

I currently have version 23.0.0.185 as my Flash version in IE 11.  So I was a bit confused when I saw 18.0.0.203 in the log files. 

I've only tested this on 3 computers so far.  All are Windows 10 64 bit with the same version of Flash in Internet Explorer 11.

Thank you,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi peterl6648231 ,

As of Windows 8, Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX Control in IE and Edge browser on Windows 10, and all Flash Player ActiveX Control updates are released by Microsoft via Windows update.  The Flash Player ActiveX installer will not install Flash Player ActiveX on Windows 10 system.  The EXE installer displays a message stating this immediately, but it looks like the MSI installer isn't doing this, and instead fails with a generic error.  I'll file an internal bug to fix this behaviour.

Also, the distribution page, where the MSI installers are posted to, includes a note stating the ActiveX Control is not for Windows 8 and above:

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the response, I clearly missed that statement regarding Windows 10.  I feel like I knew that already...so thank you again.

What's interesting is that I had called Microsoft asking about an update and was told that Adobe will be providing an update.  So I will go back to Microsoft with this information.

Regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Microsoft has listed the update here Security Bulletins 2016 , but the link, MS16-128​, goes to https://www.msn.com/?ocid=NEFLS000​, instead of the actual security bulletin with the information.  I'll inform our partner team to contact Microsoft, but would recommend you contact them as well, since you've already been in communication with them regarding this update.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

This page, Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for October 2016 , has the correct link to the Security Bulletin: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-128 - Critical

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Maria. 

Found the update in our WSUS catalog after a sync was performed.

I appreciate the prompt responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.  Glad everything is working out for you now.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines