Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

exporting and importing catlogs for book module

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Can I ask all of you -- who've been so amazingly helpful in the past -- two quick questions about using the book module?

Background:  My master catalog is on an external drive, so when editing images  I tend to export the folder the pics are in as a catalog (including negatives) onto my mac's internal drive (I call these "remote cats"), edit the pics without an external drive attached, then re-import the remote cat to the master.  That way, I can edit on our macs without external drive attached.  This is working nicely.  Questions ...

1.  Re-importing books. Will this work in order to do a book using the book moduke?  There are two differences that leap to mind, hence my question.  First, I won't be editing the pics (for the most part; see below), but simply assembling them into a book.  Second, and probably more important, I think (I've not yet used it) that the book module works by putting all the pics used in the book, or (?) all the pics for *potential* use in the book, into a collection (contrast folder); and I want to be sure that that collection will get imported back into the master cat when I re-import the remote cat back to the master cat.

Just to clarify, the key point is:  I want *whatever is needed to produce further versions of the book at a later date or indeed amended versions of the book at a later date* re-imported back to the master cat along with the pics themselves.  (A think a PDF can be produced, but that won't cut it, since that won't be editable in the way that the book itself will be, I take it.)

2.  Book-specific versions.  All the pics destined for the book are already edited, but there may be a handful of pics that I want to crop or edit in some minor way before inclusion in the book, but I don't want the edits-for-the-book to over-write my original edits back on the master cat.

Any suggestions as to how to ensure that?  I guess I could, in the remote cat, produce copies of any pics I re-edit for the book, and keep those in a subfolder that would be re-imported back to the master with the rest of that folder/cat.

Hope that makes some sense?!

Many thanks in advance

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?