Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Export - Image Issues

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,

Whenever I go to 'Create Outlines' prior to a PDF export, one of the images in my document isn't having outlines created for it, and as such, once exported, is appearing low-res .. It's the only image in the document which 'Create Outlines' isn't applying too .. Its linked up correctly to the source, and the file format is the same as the two other images in the document that are exporting correctly .. Incredibly strange!

See below for examples:

InDesign:

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 05.16.57.png

PDF:

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 05.19.45.png

Not only is it exporting low-res, but as you can see - the right hand side of the logo is extended in some strange way ..

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a Illustrator file link? Or created in Indesign Itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is a jpeg, saved from Google, then imported through File > Place .. Same as the other two images in the document, which are even smaller in size, yet importing completely fine ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you enlarge the photo.. so the effective resolution increased tends to low resolution in PDF output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi McGreal,

Along with the information asked by KK, please let me know what is the format of this link file that you have placed in InDesign.

Also, its effective PPI, you can check this in the links info pallet. This may happen when you actual image size is very small than its output size.

Please confirm.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export to PDF the Compression tab allows you to set the amount of image compression and whether images are down sampled or not. There is an option to turn off down sampling or increase the target resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

martinmcgreal wrote:

Whenever I go to 'Create Outlines' prior to a PDF export, one of the images in my document isn't having outlines created for it, and as such, once exported, is appearing low-res ..

If I understand your post, you are expecting Create Outlines in InDesign to convert raster graphics into vector ones. That is not what it does, and it is generally a bad practice to apply it to all the content in a document. Create Outlines has no effect on anything except for text - it turns it from live text into static shapes (destroying much of the special formatting, such as auto numbers and bullets, underlines, text box color, etc. in the process).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines