• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacCleaner and other pesky add-ins upon installation of Flash?

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current Flash updates have been deviled by automatic installation of MacCleaner and other pernicious add-ins that take over my browser and constantly ask whether I want to clean my system, etc.

Full disclosure: I worked for Adobe for eight years and even did some Flash documentation. I just grew to trust the installer and went with everything they suggested.

This time around, I was savvy to the problem and declined MacCleaner and so on. Yet, at the end of installation, I saw a screen (the Yes button obviously worked; the No button was unresponsive) asking me to play some game or another. The only way out was to close the browser.

I'm running OS X 10.10.1 on a Mac Book Air. My version of Flash is 23.0.0.205. My browser version is Safari 8.02.

Is this some kind of hack, or has Adobe really resorted to this? I can't believe that's so. Anyone else have this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Flash Player installers do not include MacCleaner.  I suspect you downloaded a malicious Flash Player installer from a site other than adobe.com which included MacCleaner. This is a sampling of some of the fake installers out there: Beware bogus Adobe Flash "installers" | Communities​.  Adobe does actively respond to these fake installers.  If you have the URL from where you downloaded the fake installer from you can either private message it to me or send it directly to phishing@adobe.com (see Notifying Adobe of Security Issues​).

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines