Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG export to JPG - missing EXIF data

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a problem with the LR6 while I exporting DNG files to JPG. Even if DNG file has exif data and they are shown and recognized in LR6 without any problem, the exported JPG from the DNG has nothing in EXIF. EXIF metadata are completely empty. If I made export to JPG from the RAW file, before converting it to DNG, there is no problem at all. Also DNG file converted from the RAW file has all the EXIF metadata. It is really strange that the EXIF metadata are lost. I was trying to change any related LR6 settings, optimize catalog, ... but nothing helped. I'm using Windows 10 PC machine. Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Here is the link to the Dropbox where are the original CR2 file, DNG from DxO and finaly exported JPG files. Dropbox - LR6

I suspect the problem is that the DNG wasn't properly constructed. Exiftool (the most authoritative tool for examining metadata) reports the following:

This is a common problem -- software tools forget to adjust the MakerNotes (due to a poor design of the standard).  I tried fixing it with Exiftool, but Exiftool can't always do it 100% correctly.  

It is a little curious that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you confirm that when exporting the DNG you have "All Metadata" selected in the Metadata box of the Export dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have selected "All Metadata" in export dialog. Even if I export both files at once to ensure that the export setting are the same for RAW and DNG, the resulting JPGs are different. JPG from RAW has all EXIF metadata, but JPG from DNG not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean the RAW and the DNG? How did you get the DNG file (DNG files are RAW files).

Show us a screen shot of the export window with the DNG settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean RAW - original camera raw file (CR2 from Canon 80D) and DNG file is generated from DxO where the source is RAW/CR2 file from camera. With exiftool I can see metadata in both source files (CR2 and DNG). But, as I already mentioned already, after export to JPG I have EXIF metadata only in the JPG generated from RAW/CR2 file and JPG generated from DNG has empty EXIF. Screenshot of the export window I can provide later as I'm not at home now. Are you interested on the specific part of the export window? There is quite a lot options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please post the files on Dropbox or similar so we can look at the actual files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to the Dropbox where are the original CR2 file, DNG from DxO and finaly exported JPG files.

Dropbox - LR6

Hope that this will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must be DxO that is causing this. How I have no idea but If I take the original CR2 file and in LR convert it to a DNG file then export that DNG file I get all the Metadata. I don't with the DxO DNG file.

If you want to convert your CR2 files to DNG I suggest you use either LR or the free Adobe DNG converter program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I actually found that some DNG files generated by DxO works but some not, it is really strange. Nevertheless it seems to be a DxO issue.

Actually I still has one issue with LR6 but it seems that the responsible is not taking care anymore and there is no response from him, can anybody take a look at it please - Lightroom import target folder missing check boxes ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to reply here to your other question.

May I ask why the check boxes are of importance to you.

I just took some images and imported them and got a check box next to the folder that will be created during the import. I am on Win 7 Pro with the most recent LR version, CC 2015.7.

import check boxes.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't think that it is so much important but useful and it is a software issue. In my case I have big memory card (128 GB) and it is a bit annoying when you want import only new files but you still have older files on the card and such check-boxes disappearing after clicking on them. See the video here 2016-08-09 23h24_27.mp4 - Google Drive and after each click I have to use ALT+TAB to switch to some application and back to LR6 and check-boxes are back, until next click. Previous version LR5 haven't such issue. It seems like issue with refreshing the view after click on picture/folder check-box. I'm running on Win 10 x64 Pro and stand alone LR 6.7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Older images shouldn't be imported IF they were already imported. That is if you have Don't import suspected duplicates checked.

You should also get in the habit of formatting the card in the camera after you import images from it. No matter what size card you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some screen shots.

LR DNG to JPG.PNG

DxO DNG to JPG.PNG

I suggest you stop using DxO for creating DNG file.

Actually I don't see the point of using DxO to start with and certainly not for creating DNG files from Canon RAW files that LR already reads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the link to the Dropbox where are the original CR2 file, DNG from DxO and finaly exported JPG files. Dropbox - LR6

I suspect the problem is that the DNG wasn't properly constructed. Exiftool (the most authoritative tool for examining metadata) reports the following:

This is a common problem -- software tools forget to adjust the MakerNotes (due to a poor design of the standard).  I tried fixing it with Exiftool, but Exiftool can't always do it 100% correctly.  

It is a little curious that LR is able to read the DNG's metadata when it is imported into the catalog, but not when it exports the metadata -- but that's the nature of bugs.  If you paid for DxO, you should file a bug report with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have selected "All Metadata" in export dialog. Even if I export both files at once to ensure that the export setting are the same for RAW and DNG, the resulting JPGs are different. JPG from RAW has all EXIF metadata, but JPG from DNG not.

To troubleshoot this most effectively, please upload to Dropbox (or similar) the original raw, the DNG, and the JPEG exported by LR from the DNG, and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines