• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing font - how to set which font is showing. My InDesign show Myriad but I would like it to show Zapf Dingbats.

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The headline say it all.

How to change the default-missing-font to another.

Best regards

Claus

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved out of the Forum Lounge (not for technical support) and over to the InDesign forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open indesign without opening a document.  Then choose the font you want to set as default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nahh.

My InDesign has Minion as default font.

But I am after the font which is used for missing font. Fx I dont have a Helvetica Neue 55. Then I get the Myriad Pro.

I want it to show Zapf Dingbats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry but... what's the point??

Isn't the preflight panel handy enough to point out this (and more) kind of problem ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the point is that I have experinced more than once, than the person makeing the print pdf didnt correct the missing font and then when we check the pdf the Myriad is to close to the right font that you dont notice. But you will when shows a zapf dingbats. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the missing font highlight turned on? And the missing font warning at export?

This is really a matter of employee training.... If your workers are turning off these warnings, or ignoring them, they should know they could lose their jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there is a script or a script could be made on the scripting part of this forum to do what your wanting.  Its not a perfect solution but it will cover them if they dont pay attention. But like Peter said Thats something that they really need to pay attention to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh I see.

However I have hard time believing somebody supposed to generate a professional print PDF could not be aware of a missing font.

An alert window is thrown at opening, the preflight panel is as red as chinese flag and another alert window warns him/her when outputting...

Anyway...

The thing is that the default missing font is Myriad because it's a INDD font. Meaning all INDD users have it installed.

Assuming you manage to change the default missing font (I don't see how), what if your guy doesn't have Zapf installed ? Zapf isn't a INDD font.

Besides, if the person still doesn't correct the missing font, I guess the result would be kind of strange with Zapf instead of Myriad...

Sorry I can't answer... only give an advice: check out the skills of your guy :-//

nb. Also, packaging your file would be a good practive

regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you are right about the packaging, but this a part of my problem. For some reason all the fonts was not packaged with the document. The book version wasent in the package.

Perhaps I just have to set my Pitstop server to abort pdf with Myriad Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe they turned Myriad off in the font manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines