• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC 2017 Won't Open! Shows Empty Box!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the other applications updated just fine. This is what I get when I try to open AE.

AE screen shot.jpg

I've uninstalled/restarted/reinstalled and still has the same problem. Can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Please help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi JohnnyZ,

Please try these steps:

Close all of the Adobe processes from the Task Manager/Activity Monitor and go to the following locations:

MAC

Location 1: When in Finder, click on Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

Location 2: Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe

Location 3: Documents > Adobe

WIN

Location 1: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

Location 2: C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Adobe

In all the locations, rename the 'Adobe' folders to 'OldAdobe'

Launch Prem

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved out of the Forum Lounge (not for technical support) and to the After Effects forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JohnnyZ,

Please try these steps:

Close all of the Adobe processes from the Task Manager/Activity Monitor and go to the following locations:

MAC

Location 1: When in Finder, click on Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

Location 2: Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe

Location 3: Documents > Adobe

WIN

Location 1: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

Location 2: C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\Adobe

In all the locations, rename the 'Adobe' folders to 'OldAdobe'

Launch Premiere, accept the License Agreement and see if it works.

Note: You will lose your customized workspaces and keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem.

When I try to rename the Adobe folder for AppData\Roaming\Adobe i'm told that the folder cannot be renamed as it's in use, even though I've just restarted my machine and opened nothing - is there a way around this?

Many thanks

Wes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wesd18283663​, Adobe runs multiple things in the background, even when you first turn on the computer. You still need to stop them through task manager. It worked fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I only changed the affected "Adobe" folders. In my case, it was all the After Effects folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask what did you change exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wesd,

As mentioned by JohnnyZ, there are few processes running in the background.

You might need to kill them from the Task Manager/Activity Monitor.

Regards,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. i too am having trouble with my latest version of AE. I have amended the files names as per suggestions about. What I dont understand is the premier part. I dont use premiere at all. So do I need to download it and do what you say then the AE will work? Please help. thank u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi akeem,

Are you on Windows 10? Which precise version of WIN 10 are you running?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wes,

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your running Windows open the Task Manager and click "More Details". Go to the processes tab at the top and you will see a section under that named "Background processes". End the task of anything the relates to Adobe or Creative Cloud except Adobe IPC Broker if it is listed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly what you written and I done it, but the '/AppData/Roaming/Adobe' folder still creating another "Adobe" folder when I open the AEapplication (that still not work with this solution for me..win10).

Have you got others solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still creating another "Adobe" folder when I open the AEapplication (that still not work with this solution for me..win10).

that's normal. you are renaming the Adobe folder to make sure all the preferences and settings are new and the software creates a new folder. what is your GPU (Display Card)? try updating it through the manufacturer website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Display Card is AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series, so, I tried to update the driver but it tell me its alright update.

I'm sure that my display card its updated.

Others ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please contact support so an agent can try to fix it via remote desktop. and of course come back and share with the rest of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Salsauie,

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same of Gustaf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers. Thanks, salsauie. I'll make a note of it. Have a great weekend.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have been having the same issue. Renaming all the folders has done nothing. Please Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed mine, here's how:

I went in ~/Library/Preferences and delete anything that had After Effects and AE and com.aftereffect ... plist in the file names.

Also, I went in ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe and delete anything that had After Effects and AE in the file names.

When these got delete from Preferences folder, you might need to set them again inside After Effects. Except you don't want to loose your preferences from previous version, then you have to find another way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fly Paper Sky, Can you tell me where these locations are? Where is the library/preferences you speak of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see Kulpreet  response: Re: After Effects CC 2017 Won't Open! Shows Empty Box! - it is the recommendation. fly paper sky deleted the files which is the same as renaming the folder only renaming is considered safer. "Library" is for Mac users - the full path is the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have renamed both Adobe folders to OldAdobe and still no luck.Any ideas on what to do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this issue should be best handled by a support agent via remote desktop. he can walk you through the exact steps. contact them through here Contact Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines