• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Illustrator cc 2017 zoom to selection?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just updated my PC to the latest version of Illustrator, there is one feature that's bugging me, zoom to selection. I can see the appeal but i don't want it, it's disrupting my workflow, anyone know how to turn it off, when they introduced animated zoom, the GPU section of Preferences had a checkbox to disable it, I was hoping that zoom to selection may have a similar option, anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

>>>SOLUTION<<<

In Illustrator CC 2018, Adobe finally fixed this by adding a check box under preferences Section & Anchor Display.  You can disable Zoom To Selection.  It is enabled by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 167 Replies 167
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing you want to just zoom in straight down as that would be the behavior of the Ctrl + to zoom of previous versions. No way to disable the new zoom to selection but you could hold Alt/Cmnd and scroll the mouse wheel up/down to zoom in/out where the cursor is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assumed that may be the case, thanks very much for confirming my suspicions, as with all updates, I'll get used to it.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new feature is really annoying

Any other way to deactivate this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess we'll have to wait until the next version to be able to disable it. Everything feels so much harder in this new version, I think its mainly because of the zooming.

If nothing is selected when zooming it still behaves as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm trying to get into the habit of deselecting before I zoom out, rather annoying but as you say, hopefully they'll add a "disable Zoom To Selection" checkbox in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg, awful feature. I need to forget about cmd +/- shortcuts. For example, if you have large rectangle, and want to zoom in to it's corner, you can't, because it always jumps to it's center. Adobe, please make it optional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crazy isn't it. CC just means you pay x-amount per month to be on a permanent beta version of the product. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

belight12345 wrote:

Omg, awful feature. I need to forget about cmd +/- shortcuts. For example, if you have large rectangle, and want to zoom in to it's corner, you can't, because it always jumps to it's center. Adobe, please make it optional.

If you want to zoom in to the corner of a large rectangle, just direct select that corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is weird and waste of time to change tool to direct selection and back just to zoom in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was reacting on your "if you have large rectangle, and want to zoom in to it's corner, you can't, because it always jumps to it's center"

That is clearly not true.

And whats keeping you from using the Zoom tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sure you can, and you can do this in many ways, but it is question of time and many years habit. Now i need to forget about Cmd +/- and use Space+Cmd instead (btw, usually on mac Cmd+Space - change language). I just think it is wrong to make users change their habits. Because many of them do not change adobe software only because of habits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

isn't command + space the Spotlight shortcut on Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Cmd + Space is Spotlight, but Space + Cmd is the temporary Zoom tool in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, disable it. Never use the cmd + or cmd -, its horrible workflow unless you use your mouse with the left hand and shortcuts with right, which my partner does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those shortcuts have worked fine for me for over a decade. I don't leave my hand on one spot of the keyboard, and it's in my muscle-memory. "Horrible workflow" is pretty subjective. It's excellent to me, and nearly every program employs it at this point. I take it back, it was excellent to me until this stupid change. Now I have no alternatives. Scrolling with the mouse blows. I have GPU acceleration off because it can have horrible artifacts, so it's not smooth without it. And there's not adjustment for sensitivity. If I adjust it in my mouse prefs, scrolling everywhere else is too slow. So cmd +/- was great for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yellowdogparty  Just so it's clear to everyone - you do or do not want the old zooming behavior restored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mathias17 I don't really think I was unclear. I use Cmd +/- every day and I hate this change.

My response was mostly to people saying they think the keyboard shortcut is a horrible workflow. I didn't, until this update ruined it. Roll it back completely or make a preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have more of a hardware issue then—and with todays prices, I understand.  Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as scrolling? Yeah, scrolling zoom in Illustrator is junk with GPU disabled (especially with a Magic Mouse). And I have GPU disabled because the GPU rendering isn't as accurate as I'd like. I have a beastly enough computer. It's a hackintosh I built that's watercooled and overclocked and has a pretty decent GPU. It benched better than most of the newest Mac Pros. It's crap on my 2015 MBP too. I'm just not a fan of scrolling zoom. I just like to zoom in to specific increments, it fits my workflow better. It works faster for the way I work. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, not scrolling zoom. It's not option + scroll I am referring to—agreed, it is very clunky. I am referring to the cmd + space then just click incrementally into a specific location; or even faster, same cmd + space, then drag right to zoom into a specific point, or left to zoom out (animated zoom, which yes, you need GPU enabled). I work both with the drag and the click, but it is the cmd + space that is key. It's very smooth and I'm surprised you would have issues if you have a strong machine (sounds stronger than mine, and mine is always smooth and accurate). GPU rendering is on average 6x as faster than CPU; if your machine is powerful, why not use it? Question for you, does your hand leave your mouse to zoom in, or do you lift your left hand to the right side of the keyboard to hit cmd + [+]? I would say I activate my zoom a thousand times a day—it really starts to add up. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, first, to answer your question, I'm right handed. My right hand rarely leaves the mouse, unless I"m typing or something. To use command +/- I usually use my left hand. I keep it my left hand near the command keys, but I float that hand all over. I'm a touch typist, so I have no issues using my left or right hands anywhere over the keyboard so I just keep it wherever is most comfortable at the time. I just kind of use whatever hand I find to be more convenient at the time. That other shortcut is nice, but it's also the command for Spotlight (which, admittedly I don't use frequently). Even if I leave Spotlight's shortcut active it still works, so that's not bad other than it popping up. I didn't know that shortcut existed until I read this thread last week. And I think I saw you mention it before so thanks! I still want a preference to fix this issue, but that's a good alternative for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that Illustrator is used differently from say InDesign. Indeed illustrator has many many uses that are not so self evident. What is good for one is not good for a second user. What is surprising is how the pattern keeps being adobe changes X, adobe adds a option to disable X a few months later.

This is indeed a problem in many cases. First of its true that this breaks if you want to do some detail work in the corner of your selection. In old workflow you would just move the screen to center then hit zoom a few times and be done with this. But now its automatically dragged towards the center of your selection that might not even begin to be where you are looking. So why not use zoom tool or other options.

The keyboard zoom to center of screen has following benefits:

• I don't have to change my tool, and thus context switching is reduced
  • I don't have to clear my selection.
    There is no easy way for me to save selection for later use so clearing selection might result in several minutes of new work in corner cases.
  • The zoom amount is consistent, i can easily return to the state before zoom.
    This again reduces cognitive load and is good for certain muscle memory actions
  • IT breaks old habits... Its not like i go around thinking lets press the shortcut of zoom, i just do it.
    Some rather stupid reflexive system kicks in to do it for me. Now i have to train this system again. Its like learning to walk again.

Ok, so i can understand why harmonizing behavior might be a good idea. After all you want new clients not old ones. And you want to move with the times and have a system in the future too. Also philosophically adding a option makes it even harder to use your software.  But there's something seriously wrong with your approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Majority of our studio went back to 2015.3 instead of 2017 of their own decision.  With this and the new document window having technical issues 2017 is not an update worth installing.

I would not mind going back to CS4 or CS3 when you could make surgical revisions to items inside masks, without having to enter a making mode with additional extra steps to get to the items you need to revise.

The Illustrator updates are disappointing to say the least, and the chart even on wiki shows the last decade for Illustrator upgrades being a poor product from the development team, in comparison to the decade before.

Adobe Illustrator - Wikipedia

What happened to the days when we looked forward to upgrades and wanted to be the first to get them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I love it, it's behaves like the zoom to selection in InDesign (with the additional option zoom in to a selected anchor point).

But it takes some getting used to.

When you want to zoom in to another part of the artwork than a selected object, you need to use Space-Cmd to zoom in with the Zoom tool or Space-Cmd-Alt to zoom out (and for Windows users Space-Ctrl).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines