Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about Lightroom Printer dialog box

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm running Lightroom CC 2015.7 under macOS 10.12.1 printing to an Epson 3880.

I'm confused about the "Printer..." option in the lower right of the Print Module.

In other Adobe CC apps (Photoshop, InDesign) there is an option to setup the printer settings (Media Type, Output Resolution, Highspeed On/Off, etc) in the printer driver. Once you save the settings, there is an option to Save, which then take you back to Photoshop or InDesign's printing module from which you can then print.

However in Lightroom, there are two options: "Print" and "Printer..."

"Print" simply prints based on the current settings in LR's Print Module

"Printer..." brings up the Printer driver, but once I have set the settings, there is no option to "Save", only "Print"

If I choose "Cancel" it does NOT save the changes.

This is different from long term behaviour of PS & ID.

Can anyone shed light on this.

Thank you....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

My thoughts are that the  [Printer...] button is intended for 'last minute' amendments to the printer driver as the image is on its way to be printed. (and as such- is temporary)

The [Page Setup] button  (two in Macs) bottom-left of screen, is a better choice for setting the printer properties before designing the photo layout and paper to be printed.

If you set up the printer properties from [Page Setup] then create a User template (click + on the 'Template Browser' panel), you can always return

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the Presets window, you should get a menu where you can save the current settings as a preset.

Screenshot 2016-11-03 21.26.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thoughts are that the  [Printer...] button is intended for 'last minute' amendments to the printer driver as the image is on its way to be printed. (and as such- is temporary)

The [Page Setup] button  (two in Macs) bottom-left of screen, is a better choice for setting the printer properties before designing the photo layout and paper to be printed.

If you set up the printer properties from [Page Setup] then create a User template (click + on the 'Template Browser' panel), you can always return to that setup from the Browser panel for future prints.

Print templates include the Printer properties setup options. (a reason why many beginners have problems- eg. selecting a LR default  template for  (1)5x7 which is designed for 'Letter' paper size)

I would assume that most printer driver dialogs also have an 'internal' option to 'save' a properties setup.

More experienced 'Printer people' may have a better answer than mine.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

wobertc

Stupid me, I didnt even notice the "Print Settings..." button in the lower left (I'm a recent convert from Aperture)

That dialog has a "Save" instead of "Print" which, of course, explains everything! is the answer.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not see the full menu, click on Show Details.

Screenshot 2016-11-03 21.40.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines