Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost: Using eye dropper in Split Toning to pick a color from the photo

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's been a while, and there may have been a couple updates since I used it (using latest update from Nov '16), but I used to be able to left click my mouse while in the color picker using Split Toning, and drag the eye dropper outside the color picker and select a color for the highlights or shadows from my photo graph. Now when I drag it outside the color picker pop up to the photo and let go, it just returns to the little circle with addition sign in it. Was this capability taken away in an update, or have I forgotten something?

Thanks,

Jim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Are you running the latest version of Lr?  There was one version where the dropper would not select outside the picker box at all. (I cannot remember which version)

I have CC2015.7 and the dropper works (nearly?) as expected and I can choose a color from the filmstrip, the task bar, desktop icons, BUT strangely NOT the desktop background image, or the (color) photo currently being developed!

It works very well if I have a Photoshop color swatch widow visible beside the Lr window ,and drag the drop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running the latest version of Lr?  There was one version where the dropper would not select outside the picker box at all. (I cannot remember which version)

I have CC2015.7 and the dropper works (nearly?) as expected and I can choose a color from the filmstrip, the task bar, desktop icons, BUT strangely NOT the desktop background image, or the (color) photo currently being developed!

It works very well if I have a Photoshop color swatch widow visible beside the Lr window ,and drag the dropper onto that.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am running .7 version. Vince responded, and he is having the same problem. He found out that you can pick a color from a photo on the film strip, but not photo that you are developing and are working on. I get the eye dropper up, hold down the left mouse button, then hold the Alt key and the dropper can be dragged to anywhere on the screen. I see the color being applied to the photo I am developing if I take it down to one of the photos showing on the film strip, but it stops changing the colors if I put the eye dropper anywhere in the photo I am developing.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clicking and hold down on a color in the color picker part of split toning. Then press and hold OPTION key and

drag eyedropper to desired source.

vince

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vince. It works if I take the eye dropper down to a photo in the film strip, but NOT to anywhere on the photo I have open in the develop module. It makes no sense.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, it works for me. You must keep opt/alt pressed until color selected. Then, of course, you must adjust saturation so that it is close to the tone desired.

vince

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see the same as Jim.

Nothing will let me pick the color from the image in the main develop window or the computer desktop screen! Not even with ALT/OPT, not with CTRL. (Windows-10 CC2015.7)

I can pick a color on the image in the Navigator preview panel, the Filmstrip, desktop icons, other software windows.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines