• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I use Lightroom "Import" JPG files when other file types are in the same folder?

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received a camera that takes both MOV video and JPG still images. Using Lightroom Import, I am unable to preview the JPG files. I am also unable import the JPG files even though each file has been checked in the small box in the upper left hand corner that indicates they have been selected.

When I move the files to my hard drive using MS Windows OS tool, the same thing happens.

When I move the MOV video files to their own folder, and only have the JPG files in their own folder, I am able to preview the images and the import works fine.

Is this a "Feature", and if so, how do I benefit from it? And, if it is a feature, is there a tutorial or instruction that tells us that this is how it works? May I have a link so that I may view the tutorial or instruction?

Is this a known bug, and if so is it in the cue to be fixed?

Is there a work-around to get the Import function to work when there are other file types in the same folder of the camera memory chip?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Please do Help > System Info and let us know your exact version of LR.  Wobertc reminded me that there was a bug in LR 6.3 that matches your symptoms: Lightoom 6.3: After update I can't open any video files | Photoshop Family Customer Community .That bug report provides a workaround for 6.3, but I think the fix was incorporated into a later version.  So if your version is earlier than the current version (LR 6.7 / CC 2015.7), update your LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the .jpg and the .mov have the same filename, e.g. DSC053.jpg and DSC053.mov, then LR is treating the .jpg as a "sidecar" of the .mov.  You can disable that feature by checking the option Preferences > General > Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera gives each MOV and JPG file different names. This is not the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen other reports of the same symptoms as the OP- 'mov' files preventing import.

but I have never had a similar problem with my procedure-

When you view all files in the import window-

1. set the sort order to- "Media Type"

2. Click on [Uncheck All]

3. Select only the JPG files, Mouse Click on the 'First', then Shift+click on the 'Last', to select a series. (Ctrl+click selects one-by-one)

4. Tick the box on one of the selected JPGs

5. Import the JPGs

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do Help > System Info and let us know your exact version of LR.  Wobertc reminded me that there was a bug in LR 6.3 that matches your symptoms: Lightoom 6.3: After update I can't open any video files | Photoshop Family Customer Community .That bug report provides a workaround for 6.3, but I think the fix was incorporated into a later version.  So if your version is earlier than the current version (LR 6.7 / CC 2015.7), update your LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on CC2015.3

I thought that I had accepted the most recent update, so I am surprised to find myself behind the most current version. I will update the status of this issue after I apply the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that I had accepted the most recent update, so I am surprised to find myself behind the most current version.

It's a common problem -- the Creative Cloud application isn't all that reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. After I updated LR to CC2015.7 the preview and import is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines