• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to reformat a 2-up A3 document to 2 A4 pages

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to archive a whole lot of old newsletters, stored as PDFs. They are each 4 A4 pages, formatted as 2 A3 pages (1 & 4 and 2 & 3). They were issued as printed documents, but now we want to archive them to the web. I would like to change the files to be 4 individual pages so they can be easily read in the correct order. Does anyone know how I can do that and still preserve the qualities of the original PDF? I've managed various laborious cut and paste solutions but apart from being time-consuming they all end up with pages being images that get fuzzy as they are enlarged. There are also about 10 years x 12 months worth of these, so a speedy conversion process is also going to be helpful.

All suggestions gratefully received.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the crop tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't used crop before as I haven't had a need, but having had a look I can see how it might work.

I guess the workflow would be:

1. Open the original document
  2. do 4 "crop and saveas" operations to end up with each page as an individual file.
  3. Combine those files into one PDF.

Have I got that right?

The issue I would have to resolve is that the original content would still be part of the combined file, making it considerably larger than it would otherwise be. Is there a means of permanently removing the hidden content? I suppose I could print each individual cropped page to PDF (I'm using Acrobat 9.5), but that is another operation, and with 200+ files to manipulate I would really like to streamline it as much as possible.

I do have some programming skills: would I be able to automate it somewhat with Javascript? Or are there (washing my mouth out with soap ) non-Adobe tools available that I could use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look here for a JavaScript Action that I created a while ago: Page Splitter Redux - KHKonsulting LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like exactly what I need -thanks very much. I downloaded spliiter.js and also the installer and it all seems to work as advertised. That is going to save me a lot of work. Still 200+ files, but at least the processing will be simplified.

One very basic question - if I hadn't used the installer, how would I actually get the script to execute?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to copy the script to either the user level, or the application level JavaScripts directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines