Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Date and Time Change In Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help please?

I have seen the advice on batch changing metadata in Lightroom which does work but only in the catalogue.My problem is I can't work out how to translate into a change of the original file in Windows. I have tried syncing metadata and this changes the creation time to now. If I export as a new catalogue the contents revert to the original time.

I'm totally confused!

Nigel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

John,

I do apologise. If I drill down further into the metadata I can see it has changed.

I do thank you for your time and patience 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't work out how to translate into a change of the original file in Windows.

In Library, select the photos and do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Alternatively, in Edit > Catalog Settings > Metadata, check the option Automatically Write Changes Into XMP, and LR will write all changes to metadata (date/time, caption, keywords, etc.) and develop settings back to the file.

Note that these changes are written directly to JPEGs, TIFFs, PNGs, and PSDs, but for raw files, they are written to a .xmp "sidecar" file of the same name. LR never writes out metadata for video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John.

I have tried both of these methods both before and after your reply.

The metadata created changes the time of shooting to the current time as though just shot.

Any further suggestions?

I must be missing something somewhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take us through step by step, including what change you are making in LR and how you are checking for that change outside of LR.  Screenshots would be best (a thousand words, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am changing the shooting time in the photos taken this week because I forgot to change the time back to GMT on my camera (not too important really but just trying to prove whether it can be done)

I am checking for changes in windows explorer. I can clearly see they change correctly in the catalogue but the time in and explorer and an exported catalogue are the current time.

Screenshot 2.jpgScreenshot 1.jpg

Do you require anything else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you can see this shows the current time (not sure whereabouts you are)

The second image from Lightroom shows the date and time as changed in the catalogue view

Screenshot 4.jpgScreenshot 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I do apologise. If I drill down further into the metadata I can see it has changed.

I do thank you for your time and patience 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, so no issue then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No John. In fact there never was as it turns out!

I spent hours of frustration over a problem that never was!

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines