table of content - last page number

Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Now i wanna make the table of contents of a book. All I need for it are:

- the name of each chapter (no problem)

- the number of the first page from each chapter (no problem as well)

- the number of the last page (PROBLEM!)

Is there a solution without script? (no time for that)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The built-in TOC module cannot do page ranges. Index can do it, though, if you don't need a real index, or perhaps a manually built TOC using cross-references.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It occurs to me, after saying that, the easiest thing would probably be to just create the standard TOC, then add the last page number manually. It should be pretty clear what that is from the start number of the next chapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feared it. I will do well then.

Thankx Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly I have to add a question. I tried to solve this problem with cross-references. My idea was to use them in conjunction with an (unvisible) text variable ("last page number") on the first page of each chapter. But it wasn´t recognized by the reference, just after I´ve converted it to plain text. After the convertion it lost its dynamic function.

So it is not possible to use the function "last page number" for a kind of faked TOC made by cross-references, isn´t it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a few years since I needed cross-refs in a project, so I'm rusty, but it does look to me as if they are not able to do a page range directly. You would need to do something like create a text anchor at the start, and another at the end of the chapter, and use cross-refs to both in your TOC listing. This is really a lot more work than just putting your cursor after the page number in the normal TOC and typing in the en-dash and last page number (and personally, I don't really think you need an end number in a TOC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly I need a "last page number" in that project. It was not my idea.

Of course, it could be easier just to type the number at the end of each line. But I wanted to create a dynamic TOC can be used by everybody who is working on that project next time.Even if one insert pages at the end of some of the documents in that book the TOC should actualize the page numbers in a correct way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a last Letter Character Style at the end of each chapter, so it is easier to create a Cross Reference to that Character. E.g. make it with an invisible color, so it is only seen technically by InDesign itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Willi!

You mean, I should make manually a mark at the last pages of each chapter with a special character style. Now I can make this characters invisible or give them an attribute "no printing". However, it works ... until somebody (who maybe do not know about details in that document/book) add some pages at the end of the chapter(s). From then on it is no longer the last page.

But maybe I misunderstand your proposial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines