Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE CC 2017 - Keyframe animations not playing within compositions

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H there,

As the title suggests I have animations nested within 2 and 3 compositions deep in my project which all play within their own compositions (I have however experienced a few issues where some of the puppet tool animations would jump to a position I haven't told them to on playback), but when I come back out to the main composition there is no movement at all.

Also when I animate from the main composition I'm getting some strange masking issues, however I haven't added any masking (Reference image attached).AE CC 17 issue.png

My workflow is: Composition creation in photoshop cc > after effects cc.

PS Document is RGB.

As a long time user I have never had this problem before. Can anyone shed any light on the situation?

Many thanks,

David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Looks like you have collapse transformations enabled on something animated with the puppet tool. These two features can conflict with each other. Try turning off collapse transforms and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had similar problems with masks not appearing where they should and video footage appearing in my composition that has not been imported into my AE project, or even exists on my local hard drive.

I tried resetting AE preferences and uninstalling and reinstalling, nothing worked except starting a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I've also experienced the same issues with starting a new project since the update. I've also tried importing previously created photoshop compositions and encountered the same issue.

I'm concerned as I will need to use after effects for work next week. Does anyone know if it's possible to revert back to the previous version?

Many thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm concerned as I will need to use after effects for work next week. Does anyone know if it's possible to revert back to the previous version?

this version is a brand new version, not an update. as always with your CC subscription you can install alongside CC 2017, 2015.3, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 (CS6).

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-app.html#Installpreviousversionsofapps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just wait for the second bug fix to come out?

The FIRST bug fix typically fixes common bugs -- and who knows, yours may be among them -- but breaks things that once worked just fine.

The SECOND bug fix generally fixes the bugs created by the first bug fix.

In addition you can probably look forward to a third bug fix, which addresses more exotic & rare bugs.

What to do in the meantime?  Use an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have collapse transformations enabled on something animated with the puppet tool. These two features can conflict with each other. Try turning off collapse transforms and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have solved the problem in this instance. However after many years using After Effects in this way it's the first time I've encountered this issue. Do you know if it'll be resolved moving forward?

Many thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this issue is a result of the render order pipeline which was always there in Ae and probably will be forever. puppet is an effect and effects are applied before transformations, unless you click the collapse switch and it reverses the order. therefore you should not change or animate transformations for a collapsed layer or precomp when using the puppet effect. this is from the help files:

Animating with Puppet tools in After Effects

Note:

Don’t animate the position or scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different from the render order for raster layers. You can precompose the shape layer and use the Puppet tools on the precomposition layer, or you can use the Puppet tools to transform the shapes within the layer. (See Render order and collapsing transformations and Continuously rasterize a layer containing vector graphics.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that. I just think it's strange that in the many years of using AE I've never encountered it until now. I've even re-created the same animation in the previous version and had no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've even re-created the same animation in the previous version and had no issues.

maybe it's not the same issue. if you really want to get to the bottom of this then isolate your problem. one Comp, maybe one layer - try and see when and how exactly it breaks. then compare to old version. if you are experiencing inconsistency between how it breaks between versions then report it here. if this is a bug we could report it and make Ae better for all of us. feel free to update this thread, I am personally interested in anything that breaks after effects or only seem to break it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I collapsed transformations and enabled back again. it did half the job. There were problems with some rotations. I activated: On Transparent (check first, in some animations work and others it doesn't.) Everything seems fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
activated: On Transparent (check first, in some animations work and others it doesn't.)

on transparent makes sure that no pixels outside the mesh will be shown. this could look as if it solved your problem in some cases but as the help files explain - working with collapse+puppet+animation transformation on is really making a mess and results can be unpredictable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines