Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A list of all Indesign functions ?

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Today i realized how helpful it would be to have a list of all functions Indesign has to offer, so f.e. I dont remember where to find a specific option in which case i browse the menus or worse the internet just to find out in what menu its buried - often to realize it doesnt do what i want.

So i thought there must be some kind of text file that has all the functions listed and i could browse through it crtl+f to get to an option quicker, or even directly edit the shortcut to the specific function?

Did anyone come across this problem / found a way of doing this / would find it helpful?

Perfect would be a script to have a little window in Indesign that just does a text-based search of the all menus/operations and presents you the desired option, to quickly click on it.

would that be doable somehow?

I would make learning Indesign so much easier, everyone could just think of what it is they want to do and search for it, thousands of hours of research and tutorials saved.

generally i wonder about the lack of text-based searches everywhere , one like to program "everthing" does.

greetings

Linus

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Today i realized how helpful it would be to have a list of all functions Indesign has to offer, so f.e. I dont remember where to find a specific option in which case i browse the menus or worse the internet just to find out in what menu its buried - often to realize it doesnt do what i want.

InDesign has that via QuickApply. You can click the lightening bolt on the far right side of the Control panel (or just press Control+Enter; Cmd+Return on a Mac) and then type in the feature you are looking f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linus,

hm, check back with James Wamser's "Adobe InDesign | New Features Guide".
It's not exactly what you want, but could be a good start for you:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29863695/InDesign%20New%20Features%201.0%E2%80%93CC.pdf

Note: Not updated to the latest release of InDesign CC 2017, but I bet this will be done in some days.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign New Features now includes InDesign CC (2017)

https://indd.adobe.com/view/0fe50e63-71b1-4db5-91c1-c8f6c4738df2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find this useful, too: Learn the default keyboard shortcuts in InDesign

Note that it tells you how to make a list of your current set which will be a text file. This is still not 100% comprehensive as some functions are not accessible via KBSC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has that via QuickApply. You can click the lightening bolt on the far right side of the Control panel (or just press Control+Enter; Cmd+Return on a Mac) and then type in the feature you are looking for. For example, let's say you are a new user and are wondering if InDesign can create a Table of Contents:

Click the lightening bolt:

InDesign CCss_015.png

Type in the feature name:

InDesign CCss_016.png

Click on a result and the dialog box is opened.

InDesign CCss_017.png

This works for finding tools, features, even assigning styles on the fly:

http://creativepro.com/10-essential-tips-for-working-with-styles-indesign/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks everyone that pretty much covers it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad we could help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines