Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE CC 2017 - BIG Bug interpreting the FPS of the sequence of images

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,
There's a big bug in the timeline that need to be solved really urgently: it doesn't remember the correct fps interpretation for a sequence of images.

Just to explain step by step
- create a timeline at 25 fps

- import a sequence of images (like a timelapse)

- by default, it assumes 30 fps for the sequence

- change the interpretation to 25 fps: the timeline refreshes immediately

- SAVE THE PROJECT and you'll immediately see that the timeline refreshes the footage interpretation to 30 fps. Also in the project panel, selecting the sequence, you'll see 30 fps instead of 25

- (you can also select "remember interpretation" option, under Interpret Footage Menu, but nothing change.)

- The bug doesn't annoy the footages (at least.. until now!!!!!)

Hope to be solved really quickly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

This problem is fixed in the January 2017 update to After Effects CC 2017 (version 14.1). Please install the update and post back about the fix.

Please note that the fix for this bug only applies to JPEG image sequence footage imported or modified in version 14.1. JPEG sequences in projects last saved by versions 14.0 or 14.0.1 are not automatically corrected to their previous frame rate. To fix such projects, change the frame rate to the expected value in the Interpret Footage dialog for these J

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour

J'ai exactement le même type de problème lors d'importation de suite d'images en .jpg

Merci de trouver TRÈS RAPIDEMENT une solution, parce que c'est impossible de travailler avec ce bug!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after the new update on after effects, my program keeps crashing. why is this happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is happening in my system as well on Windows 7. the workaround is to change the import fps in the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I was posting exactly the same "work-around" solution when I saw your reply.
It's a good way until they solve the bug .. hope soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for breaking after effects. Now it will be fixed sooner rather than later. I trust you filed a bug report with a link to this thread

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je modifie le fps dans les préférences et after le prends en compte mais quand je quitte le logiciel et que je le relance. Le même problème se repose et il faut à chaque fois revenir sur les préférences d'importation... ce n'est pas gérable..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just wait for the second bug fix to come out?

The FIRST bug fix typically fixes common bugs -- and who knows, yours may be among them -- but breaks things that once worked just fine.

The SECOND bug fix generally fixes the bugs created by the first bug fix.

In addition you can probably look forward to a third bug fix, which addresses more exotic & rare bugs.

What to do in the meantime?  Use an earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLD ON! I see it's only relating to JPG's. is that the case with you too? I tried Png's and Psd's and they work fine. only Jpg's cause the change the sequence's frame rate to default at the preferences frame rate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.. I've used jpg files. Better to know!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! so it's only Jpgs! many lives will be saved because of this because I believe less will use jpg sequences in their workflow. thanks for confirming this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone! It seems I have similar problem with fps interpreting after upgrading to 2017. But in my case every fps except 30 in Jpeg sequence leads to the error 17::17 "zero denominator in ratio multiply". Hope it will be fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also the same issue: at 9:01 in timeline It returns the exact error you wrote.
Impossible to work with..... absurd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it can help but I'm solved the 17::17 error in this way:
- In the Project panel select the sequence of images

- Interpret Footage - Main
Then re-assume the frame rate - OK
It starts to work again, without errors.

So it means that the error is caused by a wrong interpretation of the fps of the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried... still the bug and.. have you got for example to make a Time Remap of images sequence???? Black video occure and error messagege occure..
error 17::17 "zero denominator in ratio multiply" for example..

I have disinstalled CC 2017 and reinstalled CC 2015 th same of lots of people..

I think that Adobe must test the products before make this pubblic.. Incredible test a product on works people!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you got for example to make a Time Remap of images sequence???? Black video occure and error messagege occure..

is it only JPG sequence? or other sequence? the workaround could be render this out to a container format or other image sequence. if you have a way to export from the start png instead of jpg's or use a container format. this version has some great features and I would not dismiss it altogether just yet. this bug could be a nuisance but definitely something you can tackle.

reinstalled CC 2015

you can use all of the CC versions along side each other.

I think that Adobe must test the products before make this pubblic

they do but you can't cover everything. please submit a bug report: Feature Request/Bug Report Form  specifying the steps to reproduce your specific bug with linking to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apparently there is a problem with Jpegimporter module which is a new thing in CC 2017.

the workaround is this:

1. upon import set the file type to "all files" like this:

2. now change the format to Jpeg and import as normal

now the changed interpret footage frame rate won't return to the preferences default upon saving and behave as normal

TRY IT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, thanks for posting the workaround. Note that on macOS, to see these options you may need to click the Options button at the bottom of the Import dialog.

This is a bug in After Effects CC 2017. We are investigating the problem. Our apologies for the disruption.

The change in After Effects CC 2017 is that JPEG files now use a different importer module than previous versions of After Effects, called "ImporterJPEG". This is the same importer module that Premiere Pro uses for JPEG files. There should be no difference in how JPEG files are drawn, as the code for decoding JPEG images is identical; the difference between this and the legacy JPEG module is a matter of how the code is wrapped and initialized. We are in the process of consolidating code between Premiere Pro and After Effects, JPEG is the first importer to be moved. The legacy JPEG importer remains available, as shown in the workaround, simply called "JPEG".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok guys I'm returned to CC 2015! I'll wait for CC 2017.1 BUGS free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this hasn't been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, when a CC 2017 updated to CC 2017.1 with some errors fix as this

terrible FPS bug?

2016-11-24 7:47 GMT+01:00 R.Silva <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

AE CC 2017 - BIG Bug interpreting the FPS of the sequence of images created

by R.Silva <https://forums.adobe.com/people/R.Silva> in After Effects - View

the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9158278#9158278>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this bug is still here after 14.0.1 and the Team is aware of its issues and working on a fix. the workarounds are pretty decent in my opinion but maybe some of you are juggling between multiple fps jpg sequences in the same project or doing 100 of those a day. I can see why this can be very annoying. for everyone still struggling with this, here's a copy-paste from Tim's response in the COW: CreativeCOW . maybe your favorite workaround is here:

There is a bug in After Effects CC 2017 where JPEG sequences are the wrong duration. This was not fixed in the 14.0.1 update; we are working on a fix for a future update. Our apologies for this bug.

What is happening is that when you save the project, the Interpret Footage > Frame Rate setting for the JPEG sequence is being reset to the frame rate value in Preferences > Import > Sequence Footage.

The preference value defaults to 30fps. For example, if you interpret a JPEG sequence as 25fps, and then the bug causes the value to reset to 30fps, the sequence will be only 83% (25/30 = 0.83) as long as expected.

There are a few different ways to work around this problem until we release a fix:

1. Set the Preferences > Import > Sequence Footage frame rate value to the value you wish to use. This makes sure that when the bug happens, the interpretation frame rate isn’t changed. This may not be convenient if you work with sequences of different frame rates.

2. When you import JPEG footage, in the Import dialog change the Enable option to “All Files” and the Format option to “JPEG” (instead of “ImporterJPEG”). This will avoid the problem.

3. For footage that you have already imported, use the File > Replace Footage > File command, follow #2 above, then change the interpret footage frame rate as desired (if you have not already done #1).

4. Use a different file format instead of JPEG, such as PNG or TIFF.

5. Use Time Stretch or Time Remapping to change the duration of footage already used in a comp. Time Stretch is simpler, just calculate the stretch factor between the two frame rates (in the example above, the stretch factor is 120%, or 30/25).

The reason this problem occurs is because After Effects CC 2017 now uses the same JPEG importer (“ImporterJPEG”) as Premiere Pro. There should be no difference in the rendered results, the difference is only in how the importer module code is wrapped; this change is a part of an internal project to reduce code redundancy between applications. The bug is in how the new code is wired into After Effects. The legacy JPEG importer (“JPEG”) is still available, and does not have the bug.

I hope that helps. Again, our apologies about the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW !

you are life saver !!

Thankyou !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving lives is what we do here in the forums everyday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Roei !!!

Can you save me one more time please ?

I want to start ram preview from current time till end and it should repeat from current time till end.

But in this new 2017 version, ram preview starts from current time but when it repeats it starts from all the way from frame 0.

Do you know any work around besides marking work area ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines