• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash CS6 Symbol Placement Limitation

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Flash Pro CS6, and I'm having a problem placing a graphic symbol on the right side of the stage.  It tweens from being large in the center to being small on the right side of the stage. The tween works perfectly (slides and shrinks like it's supposed to) right up to the ending keyframe, then it moves left inside the symbol box. I've never encountered this problem before, and I can't even figure out how to look it up.

The first keyframe has the larger image symbol in the center of the stage. Then I place another keyframe on the timeline where I want the tween to end. Then I resize the symbol to the smaller size. Then, when I try to slide the symbol to the point on the stage where I want it to end up, it's like the image hits some kind edge and stops. It's still well inside the actual edge of the stage, and a number of other symbols work perfectly fine past that point. It also works if I leave the symbol large and slide it around with the mouse, but if it's small, it won't work. I can actually see the image "hit" some kind of right edge as I move it with the mouse. The bounding box will continue past that point, but it's like the image slides right out of it stuck on a right-side limitation that shouldn't exist.

I know I'm over-explaining this, but it's driving me crazy. It should be a very simple tween with no problems. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

that's a flash/animate glitch caused by a limitation on bitmap editing.  you can scale down to 14%, eg but not lower AND move beyond certain limits:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens if you leave it large, slide to past the right side of the stage and then resize it?  can you then position it where you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same. I've tried that a million times. I can place it large anywhere I want, but as soon as I size it down anywhere past that weird edge point, it slides to the left inside the bounding box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what bounding box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using "bounding box" to describe the outline of the image symbol. In other words, when you select an image/symbol and click the transform icon to scale it down, it creates a box around the image with drag points to scale it up or down with. That box around the symbol that shows that it's selected is what I'm referring to as a bounding box. Also, after it's rescaled, there's still a selection outline around it that I'm also calling a bounding box. I can then take that selected item and drag it around the stage with the mouse or set the exact X and Y coordinates with the property fields.

The thing is, when I move that resized item around the stage with either method, there's a point several hundred pixels in from the right hand side that the image will not pass. When it slides across that point the image itself "hits the edge and stops" while the rest of the selection/transform/whatever box can be placed wherever I want it. I can actually see the image "get stuck" and slide right out from under the bounding box I'm moving around. The actual image won't pass that point.

I've also tried making a new symbol from it, using the actual underlying image instead of a symbol, reimporting the image onto the stage and into the library, etc. It doesn't happen with any other item on the stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

post a link to your fla and indicate which layer/frame contains the problematic object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I PMed you the link and the password to download it. Notice on the timeline from 1625 to 1655 under the Products folder. The seven items that tween over to the right-hand side end up messed up at the moment it reaches the final keyframe. It's like the underlying image will not pass a certain point on the stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a flash/animate glitch caused by a limitation on bitmap editing.  you can scale down to 14%, eg but not lower AND move beyond certain limits:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really do appreciate your efforts to help me out here, but I'm not getting what you're saying. What Flash/Animate glitch are you talking about? Is it documented somewhere? Why does it not affect any of the other images on the stage that are also scaled down and tweened in the exact same way? Why does this limitation only affect the right-hand side of the stage? And the 14% you're talking about, is that the whole project or individual images? I've been doing these things for years and never encountered this before. In this post from 2012 (Flash stage size problem ), you said that CS6 has a stage size limitation of 8192x8192.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it's an animate flash/animate glitch.

resize your images in photoshop to 67.9% of their current size.  then when imported to flash/animate you'll tween from 100% to 14.7% instead of your current 67.9% to 10%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thank you. That's good to know. It's weird that I've never encountered that before. It's also weird that if I move that final small image away from the right edge, it works fine. It makes no sense. Anyway, I'll give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's some internal problem in animate.  that may be a bug or limitation on handling bitmaps.

flash had know limitations on bitmap handling.  many, if not most of those were by design for technical reasons that i did not understand but believe were trade-offs to prevent computer/program crashes due to intensive resource requirements needed to handle animation/compositing/etc of bitmaps.

the problem you encountered my be due to one of those limitations. in addition, it may be that current computers have enough resources to handle larger bitmaps and stage sizes but have legacy limitations that no one's bothered to investigate/remove because not many users have encountered the limitations.

ie, to see your problem requires a large bitmap size (2210 x 2210) and a large stage width (3840).  it requires both extremes (not just one) to trigger the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that by going with the larger stage and image sizes, I could produce a higher-quality finished video for YouTube--especially since it would be stepped down even further to either 1080x1920 or even 720x1280. It didn't work out that way. The SWF movie looks great, but pulling it into Premiere either directly from the SWF or from the exported PNG sequence just produces a jumpy, pixelated mess. But that's an altogether different problem. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

i noticed that problem while checking your fla.  if you enable bitmap smoothing you should see better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines