• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac doesn't see my SSD that has my catalog and photos.

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use an SSD for my photos and my catalog. When I move my SSD from my PC to my Mac, the Mac thinks my SSD is offline. Even if I click "find folder"  and chose the correct folder on the SSD, Mac still doesn't see the SSD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is the SSD formatted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim-thanks for your help. It is (Ibelieve) formatted as a FAT32. I had been able to see it on both the Mac and PC on separate occasions. I have a download for Mac to use FAT32 files.

I may have found the answer by trial and error but I'd appreciate your input as well. I took the SSD off the PC (ran fine) and attached it to the Mac (USB3). That's when the Mac said it was there but offline and of course could not access the main or subfolders at all.

Part of the problem (I think) is that Windows calls the drive "G" while Mac doesn't know what "G" is and calls it's sub-external drives just "Volumes" or simply "Folders"

I did click on the top main folder, clicked to change folder location and got the message that there was a file already on the Mac with those photo folders and did I want to "Merge'" them.

I did and now I can see the folders.

What does "merge" mean in this case? Did I lose anything?

Is there a way to have the Mac automatically see "G" drive folder?

Thanks in advance,

Bob F

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had better let someone who has experience with a Mac advise you. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines