• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2017 - Effects Lag when adjusting values

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading from 2015.3 to 2017 I noticed a consistent and annoying behavior.  When adjusting values for different effects, there is a noticeable "lag" from .5 sec to as long as 10 seconds at times where the mouse freezes, the processor spikes (not maxes but something is happening) and then it reverts to normal.  Previews all run fairly fluid and it only seems to be a problem when adjusting effects values.  This happens on third party or included plugins (levels) for example.

I noticed the worst scenario was when I had VMWare 12.5.1 installed on the system, it would cause a solid 10 sec gap between adjustments, reverting back to a time when it wasn't installed, I still get the lag, but it's more tolerable at less than a second.  It's enough to interrupt my workflow though.  Also, when I open a project and make the first adjustment, the lag is almost imperceptible, but all adjustments afterwards the lag is present.  Strange.

Also, when closing AE, I notice the mouse is very laggy when moving around the screen as if something is really bogging it down in the background, then once AE completely exists, everything is fine.  This is the only software that causes this issue and 2015.3 doesn't have it either.

SYSTEM:

W7x64, 6800k OC 3.8, 64GB 2400 RAM (Quad channel), 950 Pro m.2 nvme, GTX 1070 (enabled), 950 Pro OS, 850 Pro Scratch Disk, Asrock Taichi MB

Rapid store on disk cache SSD Drive, Intel Turbo boost 3.0 enabled, Pagefile 16GB.

EFFECTS:

Effects used are Red Giant suites (all updated for 2017)

Sapphire

Plexus 3

I'm just asking if anyone else notices this behavior so I can help narrow down the cause or if it's another Adobe bug.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have something kind of similar - dragging values in certain effects such as Lumetri - exposure, saturation etc - I get a regular 20 second freeze and then control returns with all mouse movements etc made while it was frozen then play out.

At first I thought it was just with Red Giant Colorista etc - but then found out it happens with Adobe plugins too.

I also thought I'd fixed it when I upgraded my graphics drivers (nVidia GTX 980 on Windows 10) as it did solve it temporarily but the problem is now back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to that - a restart of AE had it working again OK - I presume this is some kind of memory leak or bug that builds up over time when editing maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently you both expect a brand-new version of AE to perform flawlessly.  Typically, it gets a lot closer after the second bug fix.  The first fix tends to major bugs but breaks things that previously worked well.  The second fix addresses the things broken by the first fix.

Hey, that's life in the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave - not sure what your real point is?

My posts and replies to others' posts are to find out if other users are experiencing similar issues to then submit meaningful bug reports. I'm absolutely aware how software development works and have been involved in many Beta trials including from Adobe. I've been using AE since the early days (1997/8) so am aware of how Adobe's development has worked and changed over the years.

If us advanced users with wildly differing hardware setups don't do this then many bugs would go unreported.

I take your post as tongue in cheek as I'm sure you intended but there is a real valid reason for asking others if they have seen bugs and issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!  Go find those bugs and submit them!  We all appreciate it.  We salute your self-adopted role as an unpaid Beta Tester.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave - no idea what your issue is. Let's be civil - no time for flame wars

Ajed - have you seen a difference when you restart AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks SiliconPixelSB for your thoughts, it's an odd bug and doesn't seem widespread which concerns me more as it likely won't be "fixed", but like you I felt documenting the behavior was worthwhile.  I'm going to give W10 a shot later this week and see if there is any difference on this machine.  It takes so many hours to rebuild these with all the software and customization, but it's the sole reason we built it to begin with. 

As for Dave, well what can I say, I don't think I've actually solved many problems by reading his responses over the years, but I'm sure Adobe appreciates his efforts.  Paid by the post maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW - I'm on Win 10 latest versions etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebooting doesn't make any difference in my case and sounds like moving to W10 won't change anything either, but I'll post if it does.

I have another workstation I'm going to test against which is similar to the one I'm talking about here, except it uses a 5820 processor and no M2 nvme or Rapidstore engaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK

I have a second edit PC here which I've not seen the issues on although I don't tend to use it much for AE work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the bad behavior stop if you uninstall Sapphire?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if I've got sapphire installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem to.  I did test 2017 on the system I mentioned above and the problem doesn't exist.  Sigh, it's good news for that workstation, but I'm not holding my breath for a solution and assume it's just a conflict somewhere with either hardware or software on this machine that Adobe 2017 just doesn't like so I guess I'll be reinstalling from scratch and hoping for the best as it's just to distracting to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn, I was hoping.

Maybe we can help you narrow it down.

Try the reinstall first though.

It's always fun to be on the edge and try new versions, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe graphics card related?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything's possible with odd/unusual issues like this. You might check NVIDIA's website for new drivers.

If those don't help, you could try some older ones too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally the same problem here. Not just in one computer. In all computers I installed Colorista I get the same weird problem. Once you start to move parameters in Colorista...AE will get the lag. Also the same you said: "when closing AE is very laggy when moving around the screen as if something is really bogging it down in the background, then once AE completely exists, everything is fine" . So far no luck in solving this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this new version, i'm experiencing the same exact problem.

I can't work and i do lot's of work in AE.

When moving around the screen it's really laggy and sometimes impossible to even work with it. I do alot of mask and i can't even do a proper one or even animate them.

It's sad that this is happening

Hopefully they fix it quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!

We waiting for a fix.

According to Red Giant: 

"It looks like the slow down you're seeing when using Colorista may be part of an issue our developers are tackling between the panel and GTX cards specifically. Unfortunately this will take time to dig into on account it involves a bit of collaborative resources between Nvidia's team and ours". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have same problem, very annoying ! Very bad sticky lag, I can't draw a mask. Mocha plugin is even worse, everything is graphically slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case there were constant lags after applying Colorista IV effect. I found that there are some incompatibility issues with Sapphire 10 plugins. I deleted Sapphire 10 and Colorista IV became working great with AE CC 2018 win 7 x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do use sapphire effects and since after all this time colorista 4 is still bad, I'm guessing it'll never be fixed.  Still using v3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a solution I posted recently.

Effects Lag when adjusting values - SOLUTION!

Note that things like the histogram only look at the size of the adjustment layer and disregard the scaling, which is kind of lame, but at least it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines