• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon EOS 1 DX Mark II, stabilize 4k 60 fps video?

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to video editing. Can Premiere Elements trim and stabilize (for shaky camera shots) 4k 60 fps video from the Canon EOS Mark II? I'm finding it awfully difficult to find information on what to do with these files to edit them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

justink11719746 wrote:

Very grateful for all of the replies received. Is the video stabilization on Elements pretty decent?

I'm still back on version 13 when stabilization was "upgraded".   Adobe has a discount sale going for a day or two on Elements so I may upgrade to 15, but I can't yet identify a solid, justifiable reason.  So far, I've only got good excuses!

I had no standard of comparison other than watching various YouTubes of other products.  The kings in the market appear to be Premier Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be able to. But it's always a good idea to download the free trial and give it a test drive just to make sure.

(Though note that since the camera saves its video as MOV, you will need to have Quicktime 7 installed, per the program's system requirements, in order to edit the files.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit worrying if Adobe have requirements for Quicktime which in April was deprecated by Microsoft for Windows, since Apple will not address found security problems.

I know Steinberg is looking for a replacement for Quicktime for Cubase, which I am waiting for.

Isn't Adobe addressing this?

I've only done simple cuts so far in PRE15 - but that goes fine without Quicktime.

TBH, I cannot find that requirement:

Tech specs & system requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements 15 for Mac, Windows, PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(On edit, I see Steve beat me by 4 minutes.  I type too much and too slow.  Rather than delete this, I will leave it as is.)

Adobe has addressed it.  All versions of PrE prior to 15 listed Quicktime as a requirement.  The current specifications for 15 do not.

Read this page:  Tech specs & system requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements 15 for Mac, Windows, PC

After listing a string off a string of import and export formats, a key sentence is at the bottom:  "Import/export of some formats may require activation via an Internet connection. Activation is fast, easy, and free."

There was a time when Canon, Sony, Panasonic and others offered camcorders with specific format selections that would appeal to Apple users.  I don't know about your DSLR.  But I doubt it needs any of the Quicktime support files.

A convenient way for Adobe and others to make it work was to have Quicktime installed.  And, it was not Quicktime, it was the support files that were needed.  If at some point, you can't make Adobe or other editors work on an Apple format,  the Quicktime installation offers a choice install only the support files.  If you have installed the full Quicktime you can rename Quicktime.exe to .bak.

If in fact, Premier Elements has imported you clips from your camera, you have proven you don't need Quicktime.  Whatever codecs or formats you are using are present.  You have no worries!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How lovely, thank you for input - really relieved.

I have a Canon EOS 100D, and not 4K video, but full hd - and it worked flawlessly so far.

Even still images bigger than stated max 4096x4096 have worked fine.

PRE15 is really neat piece of software. Really impressed.

I also saw Steinberg recommendations saying about support files, and go into a menu to install that and not quicktime player part. But even better if it never hits my machine. I will wait out Steinberg, possibly Cubase v9 will have fixed that. Steinberg said that risks would be very small, but since Microsoft went as far as deprecating it - better watch out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Elements 15 can edit a number of files without Quicktime. But, if you have problems editing your camera's video, just know that you'll need it.

You don't need the Quicktime Player. In fact, you should not install the Quicktime Player. But, if you select custom install for Quicktime, you can install the necessary components without installing the player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I used MOV files on my EOS 100D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very grateful for all of the replies received. Is the video stabilization on Elements pretty decent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

justink11719746 wrote:

I'm still back on version 13 when stabilization was "upgraded".   Adobe has a discount sale going for a day or two on Elements so I may upgrade to 15, but I can't yet identify a solid, justifiable reason.  So far, I've only got good excuses!

I had no standard of comparison other than watching various YouTubes of other products.  The kings in the market appear to be Premier Pro CC's "Warp Stabilizer" and an independent called ProDad Mercalli.  YouTube demonstrations of those two can be impressive.

After trying the Premier Elements stabilizer for a while I tripped over a discounted $100 sale on Mercalli V3.  (There is an older version 2 and a newer version 4.) 

Both the Premier Elements built in stabilizer and Mercalli take lots of processing time.  On the few dozen clips I've tested, I can't say the Mercalli is significantly better.  Both work.  Both need some study to find the where to put the adjustable settings.  Different scenes require different setups.  It is a slow process and has to be done one clip at a time in both systems. 

The result for me personally is a renewed emphasis of holding the camera steady and increased use of a tripod or monopod.  My newest mirrorless camera from Panasonic has incredible image stabilization features, but nothing beats a tripod. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything happend for this kind of gyro stabilized harness/sling to carry cameras?

You can walk and camera stays on target compensating every move you make.

Can't beat a tripod in price of course, but still maybe become affordable for those doing a lot of shooting.

Been a few decades since those came around - should be cheaper now.

I looked at Canon zoom lenses - and the 55-250 was highly suitable for video footage.

With zoom in the higher half I can imagine every little shake becomes obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LariosoDog wrote:

Anything happend for this kind of gyro stabilized harness/sling to carry cameras?

I don't own one, but an online friend has use a Beholder MS1 on a mirrorless camera.  His results are impressive.  Beholder also has a larger DS1 for heavier DSLRs. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1180478-REG/ikan_beholder_ms1_mirrorless_camera.html

DJI, the drone company, makes a complete 4K capable unit called the OSMO.

http://www.dji.com/osmo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines