• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can not regroup

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I press CTRL+G it wont make a "sub group" under Head, to make a "turning head group".

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're combing multiple files into a single puppet, you're likely better off doing the grouping in PS or AI. Ch Beta 5 (released today!) is better about preserving changes across structure changes, so make sure you upgrade first.

Also, by doing structure changes (i.e. grouping changes) in PS/AI, you'll see the same hierarchy in Ch. Grouping changes done in Ch aren't reflected in the .psd/.ai file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unless you're combing multiple files into a single puppet,"

Could you kindly explain this, i.e. give or post an example? (I know what you mean technically but not in effect…) Thank you…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can import as many PSDs / AIs as you want, and can drag them together to create a franken-puppet of sorts. So I could have and eyes.psd that I mix with a mouth.ai on a bird.psd. This is even easier now with the new shareable puppet filetype.

Also, for the original question - grouping in Illustrator can be weird. I always select the parts I want on the canvas, not the layer panel, and group from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think a great idea for a short tutorial would address how to group and regroup in Illustrator. I watch and rewatch your tutorials to see how you are able to make your groupings work so well, in that they retain their names and become sublayers of the new group. This is not the behavior I get at all, when I group everything transfers to, for example, the + R Eyebrow layer, and the sublayer names are usually not helpful. Enormously frustrating when I am trying to create head turn layers. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind, I just answered my own question. For anyone else struggling with this, I simply selected all the desired layers by name, and there's an option in the Layers panel called Collect in New Layer, and this takes all your selected layers and drops them into a new layer with all the existing layer names intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines