• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 Margins and Columns don't show up

Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone.

Since yesterday I have a problem in InDesign CS6.
I created margins and columns on my Master Pages, but they don't show in the documents pages...
My guides are activated, also my Baseline Grid and I can see them. (I now created guides, so I can work somehow, but I want to know what's the problem).
Is it a bug?
Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Here two pictures to clarify the situation:

My Master Pages:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-06 um 18.29.45.png

Pages in the document:
Bildschirmfoto 2016-11-06 um 18.29.57.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Try moving the pages to a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try: View > Grid and Guides > Show Guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's activated already.
As you can see on my screenshots, guides are shown. This doesn't help me to see my margins and columns.
But thanks for your suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible you have something filling the background that would be obscuring the guides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not the case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All docs, or just this one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems it's only this one. I really think it's some kind of bug. This never happened before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you.
The Method with IDML unfortunately didn't work. Maybe I will try out the other option in the next days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving the pages to a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. I was thinking of that and it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an another solution: go to Master Page, open menu/layout/margins and columns, click for disable the preview, and click again to enable... it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much thanks god you save me thankyou😭😭🥹

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding this for someone in my situation -- turned out I was in Preview mode rather than Normal, so margins weren't showing and the pasteboard looked different (View > Screen Mode > Normal).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kristen, for a simple answer to a perplexing problem.  I'm new to InDesign and it obviously has loads of little 'gotchas' as well as some bugs that can torment you until you have the experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is definitely what was wrong with the document I'm working on, which was inherited from another designer. None of the other suggestions here will do a thing if you have the view set to "preview" mode. Drove me crazy till I saw this. Thanks Kristin. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is it! this worked for me as well. great job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Kristen, you saved me! It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Thank you! This has happened before and I ended up finishing a 138-page book without the gridlines - a stressor and it took forever. This time, on the homestretch for finishing a community newspaper, it happened again. I must have pushed an alternate key or something and the margins disappeared. I read the tips and followed yours, which worked beautifully. Thank you, again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love Indesign, but it's those little bits of know-how that you are not aware of that really drive you mad. Like making sure in order to stop all objects from turning opaque (even when you select fill), you have to be in web settings and not print settings on the document settings tab - it drove me mad for hours!!!   This though worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you, Kristen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that could be a big waste of time, especially depending on how big the document is. The best way to get them to show up is to pull a guide down from the ruler bar and your guides will show. Just a trick for when the software is not working correctly with showing guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! so simple and yet I didn't think of doing this. thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much for this! very nice easy fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines