• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotoscope not working!!!

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, my rotoscope was working for a second, then just completely stopped.  I know the basics of AE, so I'm sure I must have clicked something wrong.  Basically, I will start using my roto brush tool (see image below):

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 9.25.53 AM.png

And when I try to go around a fully highlight the subject, the roto brush tool doesn't connect/isolate the subject in pink like it's suppose to.  It just shuts off and goes back to normal like this (see image below):

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 9.26.02 AM.png 

I'm sure there is an easy fix or something I might be doing wrong!  Can anyone help please!?!  I've been trying to fix this for 2 days.  I cleared my cache, shut down and restarted a billion times.  Any suggestions or thoughts?  Thanks for any info in advance!  🙂 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Well, black against black with barely any motion isn't going to do much with the Rotobrush tool. You are using the wrong tool. There are simply no discernible edges it can latch on to and synthesize the motion data required to detect foreground and background. You need to create conventional masks to isolate your subject.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, black against black with barely any motion isn't going to do much with the Rotobrush tool. You are using the wrong tool. There are simply no discernible edges it can latch on to and synthesize the motion data required to detect foreground and background. You need to create conventional masks to isolate your subject.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium is right; the RotoBrush is unlikely to work on that source footage.

But you're also using it wrong. You are not supposed to trace the outline of something with the RotoBrush. That is exactly NOT how to use it. It's not an intuitive tool. Read on how to use it here.

But, again, I wouldn't expect it to work on that footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Szalam,

My apologies for not using the Rotobrush correctly.  I just applied masks to it and it seemed to do the trick good enough.  Thanks again for your help and suggestions.  Much appreciated!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mylenium,

Thank you for your response.  I did exactly what you suggested and it worked with conventional masks to isolate the subject.  Much appreciated my friend!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines