• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Copy LR settings between computers without moving files?

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a desktop and a laptop that I edit from - the laptop primarily when I'm traveling, the desktop as my primary work space. I was traveling last week and got a head start on editing, but I now want to transfer all my edits to my desktop. I know how to export/import as a catalog, but I can't figure out how to move the LR settings to my desktop without moving all the files as well? I already have all my images on both the laptop and desktop, but only the laptop has the LR edits. I don't want to copy the photos over (again) to the desktop, mainly because it takes forever... Any help would be greatly appreciated! I feel like there has to be a way to just transfer the LR settings, but I can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

I know how to export/import as a catalog, but I can't figure out how to move the LR settings to my desktop without moving all the files as well?

When you do the File->Export as Catalog from the laptop, do not check the box that says "Export Negative Files".

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to export/import as a catalog, but I can't figure out how to move the LR settings to my desktop without moving all the files as well?

When you do the File->Export as Catalog from the laptop, do not check the box that says "Export Negative Files".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I figured it was something so simple that I was overlooking it. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an external hard-disk (USB3), where I store the catalog and the image files. That works fine, and I can edit the files on the computer at my discretion (I'm using 3 stations, as I have my own private worksation, my laptop and my work workstation). Do not forget, however to backup your image files and the catalog at regular intervals. I do that, each time I connect my HD to my workstation.

My workflow is as follows:

Mobile: 1TB of work disk

Desktop: 6TB of picture disk

Backup: NAS with 18TB space.

When I'm on the road, I import my pictures from the CF card to my mobile work disk. I do my edits there. When I'm at home, I connect the mobile disk to my desktop and import that as a catalog to my desktop (File->Import from an other catalog). Then I backup my desktop to the NAS. After that, I only delete the files on my CF/SD card (my main camera is a EOS 5DM3 and I record always on both cards).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I need to get some SD cards for backup, I only record to CF at the moment and I'm always paranoid I'll erase them by accident. I had needed to reuse my cards before I could export the entire catalogs, so as a backup I just imported the photos (as new, from the cards) to my desktop disk, and am now trying to copy the LR settings over from laptop to desktop without copying the images all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

t.w54303370 wrote:

Thanks! I need to get some SD cards for backup, I only record to CF at the moment and I'm always paranoid I'll erase them by accident.

SD cards should not be used for backups. Backups should be to a hard disk (local or network), or to a cloud backup service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

t.w54303370 wrote:

Thanks! I need to get some SD cards for backup, I only record to CF at the moment and I'm always paranoid I'll erase them by accident.

My camera is a 5DM3. Records at the same time the pictures on both (CF and SD) cards. I would however have prefered to be able to use double CF cards.

t.w54303370 wrote:

I had needed to reuse my cards before I could export the entire catalogs, so as a backup I just imported the photos (as new, from the cards) to my desktop disk, and am now trying to copy the LR settings over from laptop to desktop without copying the images all over again.

You can export part of your catalog as a new catalog and import that one into an existing catalog on a second machine. I find it easier to use an external disk for mobile working and importing that catalog onto my desktop catalog.

My backup is a third disk on a NAS (actually it's a RAID, so I have additional protection).

You can never be to paranoid if you handle data security and backups. 🙂

My current night mare would be a crypting virus. Therefore I disconnect the NAS after the backup (which is quite impractical).

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines