• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Portrait Image change to Landscape image with black edges

Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I would like to say I do not want to crop my image down

I would like to change a portrait image into a landscape image in a 4:3 ratio with black edges so the whole portrait image is still being used but in a landscape style.

I have a digital picture frame that I display these pics on and the stupid thing displays the portrait images with a fluro blue down the sides which does not complement the pics very well at all

I am happy to try this is lightroom or photoshop, any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be doing this in Photoshop.

Open a new 'document' that is 4:3  (eg. 1920x1440pixels) Black background. (Save a Ps 'preset' or a Black 4x3 photo in Lr)

Open the 'Portrait' image in Ps (from Lightroom-  Ctrl+E) and drag "Move tool"  it onto the Black 4:3 document.

Use Transform [Ctrl+T] to resize and fit on the 4:3 document.  (Hint: To see all the Transform frame press [Ctrl+zero]. )

Save as a jpg for the digital screen.

ScreenShot302.jpg

If the Black 4x3 background was already in Lr, you could just select both Background and image and [Open as Layers in Photoshop]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use Image->canvas size in Photoshop. You could even automate the process of creating images for the frame, if you have a bunch of images to treat.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, great idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this in the Lightroom Print panel. The trick is to Print to file, not to a printer. Here's a screen grab with the important settings circled, except I forgot to circle the first option under the Print job panel where it says Print to: JPEG file. I set the file dimensions to 8" x 6" because LR won't let you go below 4". If the file size is too big, just reduce the resolution. The proportions will be correct.

IMHO this is way easier and faster than using Photoshop.

(this is an image from the Adobe MAX Bash party this past week in San Diego)

Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 10.17.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines