• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign cs5 freezes when an effect (e.g. gradient, drop shadow etc.) is applied

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I am running InDesign cs5 on a Mac OS X, version 10.6.8.

I'm having a continuing problem where my program freezes solid when I apply an effect (eg. putting a gradient on an object, applying a drop shadow etc.). Nothing moves and I have to force quit the program. When i reopen, it recovers the file to pre-effect state. I re-apply the effect. Boom - it freezes again. Force quit. Repeat. Forever.

Any suggestions/thoughts on what I can do to fix this problem? Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch​ InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. You must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow).

You may need to do this a couple of times before getting the hang of it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, you are a legend!!!

That did fix the problem, thank you so much!

I would only make one amendment to your instructions: (Mac OS) 'While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.'

I spent ages trying to do it 'IMMEDIATELY' as the program launched, but it just didn't work. However, if I hold down the keys and THEN start the program, it worked.

Thank you so so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So thankful this worked on windows with directions listed! just hit the Ctr+Alt+Shift as soon as you click the file to open, not before or wait until you see the box of the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines