• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have i7-6500U , 8mb ram, 512gb m2 ssd, 4k screen, intel integrated gfx - can i use Premiere Pro to do 4K editing if I use proxy or quarter res?

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just want to be able to do some video editing on the go, when I can't do it at home.. is it possible with the hardware configuration mentioned in title if I used proxy files and/or quarter resolution playback and the like?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That I cannot tell you. But given the performance of an i3-6100 CPU that I had recently donated to a relative's rebuilt PC (which struggles quite significantly on even 1080i video material compared to a true quad-core CPU), and that the i7-6500U is not a true i7 CPU (it's merely a mobile dual-core i5 CPU with more L3 cache) whose maximum Turbo clock speed (with both cores loaded) is still significantly lower than the stock speed of the i3-6100, expect excruciatingly slow performance on that laptop with 4K material even with proxies or 1/16th resolution playback (yes, you heard me correctly - 1/16th resolution is much lower than even quarter-resolution).

And the fact remains that Adobe needs at least 32GB of system RAM just to even handle 4K video content comfortably well. Having so little RAM (8GB) installed (the bare minimum RAM just to even run Premiere Pro CC 2015+ at all) only makes matters worse than it already is.

I did not include the total lack of a discrete GPU in my assessment because the rest of the system is so weak to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines