• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing Preview 4 and keep Preview 3?

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As Preview 4 isnt able to open Preview 3 files, I originally went through the process of uninstalling After effects and then installing Preview 2 so that I could update to Preview 3 again. Now I have run into the issue where I have an animation running past the maximum time allowed in Preview 3 and will need to use Preview 4.

Is there a way to simply install Preview 4 separately without it updating over the top of Preview 3? As I have many animations created in Preview 3, I really need to keep it.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

If I remember correctly, Preview 4 (or Beta 5) should install in a new separate folder? But it sounds like you went through the process before and that didn't happen...It's been a while so I don't remember for sure. Maybe save a backup zipped copy of it just in case?

Unless you have a large production currently in Preview 3, I would suggest upgrading to Beta 5. Yes, re-regging characters isn't fun - I had to do it with all 20+ of mine - but the speed/performance increases and new features like dy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remember correctly, Preview 4 (or Beta 5) should install in a new separate folder? But it sounds like you went through the process before and that didn't happen...It's been a while so I don't remember for sure. Maybe save a backup zipped copy of it just in case?

Unless you have a large production currently in Preview 3, I would suggest upgrading to Beta 5. Yes, re-regging characters isn't fun - I had to do it with all 20+ of mine - but the speed/performance increases and new features like dynamic link and shareable .puppet files feel undeniably worth it to me. Your call though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Yes unfortunately I do have a very large amount of puppets that were created in Preview 3. Actually what happened last time was that I did a fresh OS install, and as I reinstalled AE, Preview 4 was automatically there but I hadnt actually tried whilst having Preview 3 already installed.

I'll give it a go and fingers crossed this works!

Whilst I am here though could I take the opportunity to ask whether these features are available in Preview4 please?:

- Is it possible to rename a puppet and scene in the Project box? Previously I have tried create multiple scenes using the same puppet, but it becomes a bit confusing to remember what animation was inside which scene without being able to name the scene

- If I would like to reuse a puppet previously used in an old file, is it possible to create a duplicate so that it keeps the same set up with sticks, fixed points, transform options etc... that I can create a new animation with, without it effecting the old file?

- Is it possible to copy takes between scenes? For example, if I would like to copy head movements and keyboard triggers from one scene to another without having to re-record?

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck!

1. Yes - press return/enter to rename anything in the project panel.

2. Not for old files. This was just added into the latest Beta 5 release for the first time with .puppet files.

3. No take copying across scenes yet, but we've heard this request several times - I'll add your voice to the pile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Beta did indeed install separately from Preview 3 so thats all good

And thanks for answering the other questions. I have also watched the video now on the new features in the beta and this will surely speed things up a bit for me

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines