Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash update prompts may be causing blue screen error

Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed a trend on my PC. Occasional blue screens. The trend is, that upon my next boot up, a Flash update will be available. My Flash settings are set to look for updates but allow me to install manually. I haven't tracked this with absolute certainty that this is the cause, but there are no other commonalities that I can establish. Most of the time the blue screen is triggered when I am not even at my screen, or I will log in and to my surprise, be informed that Windows has recovered from a blue screen condition. After the next additional boot up after this, a Flash update will usually be available. This has nothing to do with actually using Flash in any web browser, to my knowledge. Any thoughts?

I don't know how to replicate this condition but I will post a screen shot of the next time it does, Flash update or no.

Operating system version: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 v 7601

Web browser and version: Firefox 49.0.2

Flash Player version: 23.0 r (updating to current version momentarily)

Explain your problem in step-by-step detail if possible: See above

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very unlikely that the Flash Player upgrade itself is the root-cause of the problem.  It's far more likely that we're tickling something problematic that's executed by the operating system, underneath us.

The actual relevant minidump (usually located in C:\Windows\Minidump), or at minimum, a picture of the information displayed on the screen would give me a good idea about what's actually going on.  The .dmp files can be pretty big, so you'd need to post them somewhere online -- adobe send, box, dropbox, google drive, etc. are all good options.

There are a couple recommendations for retrieving the contents of what's displayed during the BSOD here:

Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how I can share my dump files when I am denied permission to do anything with them. I won't upload it if I don't know the contents and it won't allow me to open it in Notepad. Additionally I don't care to research further on the subject on my own, do not have time. If you would enlighten me, its appreciated. They are two dmps and only a few hundred KBs.

Lastly, geez these forums are slow. Do you guys actually use Flash? The irony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another update: I set to never notify and since then 1+ flash updates have released that I manually updated to. No blue screen yet. Looks like my problems may be gone with Flash's updater set to never check for updates!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines