Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC does not compress any more when backing up

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I changed the name of one of my catalogs (3 in total. Don't ask me why). And now when backing up just this renamed catalog LR does not compress the

lrcat -file anymore to Zip-file.

All other (unrenamed) catalogs are compressed in backup process.

Can someone tell me what could cause this? Seems that everything else works like before.

Windows 10 64bit,  LRcc latest update.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it does not zip it, how does it store the backup then?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just stores the uncompressed lrcat -file as it used to do in former LR-versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure ... you definitely opened LR CC2015 and not accidentally some LR5 that is still on the drive?

Do you backup to the local disk?

What is the size of the catalog?

I have not tested and confirmed this, but it may be that case when backing up to any other disk than the local and/or when the catalog has a certain size.

I'm not at my LR computer currently so I can not test and confirm.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm in LR 2015cc. I backup to local drive. This is my biggest catalog containing about 170000 pictures and the size of lrcat -file

is 3,72 Gb (uncompssed).

The other tree catalogs are much smaller. These are still comressed to zip when backing up. So this is quite mysterious.

I don't like the idea to remove and reload LR, but may be I have to. On the other hand if everything works why bother. The only

downside is the big size of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me check that ... I'll get back to you here ... will take some time though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I got some information for you.

There is a limit for (original ZIP) compressing files which is 4GB -  this also applies to the zipper used within LR. While there are ZIP-tools that are able to compress files larger than 4GB, the zipper used in LR is limited to exactly these 4GB.

You 3.72GB catalog probably does not zip due to some margins of error.

That said, what you see is (unfortunately) normal behavior in LR.

IMHO, since Lr6 can only be used on 64Bit systems, I feel that the zip technology within LR should be updated to later version which supports files larger than 4GB (i.e. ZIP64) - I'll forward this as a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for your help.

Its interesting to know about that limitation.  I "solved" the problem by returnin to the last unrenamed lrcat -file I had, and now

it works just like before: catalog is compressed to Zip although the size is the same 3,72Gb. So I think something went wrong in

renaming.

But it would be fine if that 4Gb limit goes away in future, since the catalogs are growing as years are passing and LR gets new

features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe wants to have 'feature paritiy' between Mac and Windows versions of LR. While ZIP64 is fully supported for Windows it is not fully supported on Mac - Zip (file format) - Wikipedia .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines