• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Cineware, can After Effects animate a mesh via a Null's transformation?

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is my setup and what I would like to do:

• In Cinema 4D, I have a 3D character with an idle loop. I have made this character a child of a Null object that has an external composition tag.
  • In After Effects, I import this .c4d file and extract the data. The Null comes through. So far so good.
  • What I'd then like to be able to do is animate the transformation of the Null layer in After Effects, and have the character moving with it accordingly. At the moment, when I move or rotate the Null layer in After Effects, it doesn't affect the character.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Many thanks,

Jamie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not possible. For the time being this is a one-way-road in either direction. There is no live-synching. Once the data has been extracted, it becomes native and exclusive to AE or C4D, respectively. What you want to do will require Element 3D.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium.

Yeah I thought that might be the case. It's a pity because it would be really useful/powerful.

I have Element, but the assets I have from Cinema 4D just aren't playing nicely with it (The UVs aren't coming through neither is the rigged animation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rigged animation wouldn't come through. You'd need to bake it as an OBJ sequence for Element to handle it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines