Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing text in a symbol instance

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I was just wondering if there is a way of editing the text in a symbol instance without it being updated in all the instances. So basically a way of decoupling the content of a symbol from its styling.

As a practical example: I have a button with some background color, some specific font size and color and a button text. I’m saving the button as a symbol, then placing in multiple places on the design. However, although I still want to be able to edit the style unitarily (changing the color -  updates everywhere) I would like to be able to change the text individually on every instance (a button to say “ok”, other “Accept”, other “I Agree” etc.)

I think I saw something similar in the Beta presentation but I doesn’t show if all the instances change or only one changes and how to do that.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Hi, radu.valeriu-

Unfortunately, not yet! I'd suggest upvoting the issue here to get the latest info pushed to you:

Override text, color, etc. on a specific instance of a reusable symbol – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, radu.valeriu-

Unfortunately, not yet! I'd suggest upvoting the issue here to get the latest info pushed to you:

Override text, color, etc. on a specific instance of a reusable symbol – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature...

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

This is something that I would definitely find very useful and is already available in other programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's something we're really interested in, too! Keep the feedback coming - we're still working hard on improving XD!

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is just another reason Static Symbols should be the default symbol type. I was about to see a reason to use Dynamic Symbols… But wait… I can't change the font color… even if a color it at the Object Level??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines