• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What Do You Think of The new Ray Trace 3D Replacement?

People's Champ ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was sort of looking forward to this new system for doing 3D directly in After Effects.  I'm wondering what you all think of this new system?

Is it any different than the old Ray Trace 3d that nobody ever used?  

~Gutterfish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's different in that it uses the CPU instead of only a very narrow set of one company's GPU's.

It's different in that it's fully multithreaded (so, YAY multithreaded rendering in AE...kinda).

It's different in that it doesn't throw errors as often (much less likely to run out of RAM than GPU memory)..

Otherwise it's pretty similar. It's not there to do big 3d things. It's just there for quick 3d text/logos when you don't want to take the time to do things in a full 3d app or you want to use AE's animation tools.

I mean, I made a helix using AE's text animators and the C4D renderer. It was pretty fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to link the video. Here it is. Again, this was just a quick test, to see if I could do a helix-y shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's another bit of fun I had with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines