• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign freezing when selecting text

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with InDesign that is plaguing many of my documents.

Issue:

• When selecting text with a mouse InDesign freezes up
  • When using Ctl+A there is no issue
  • This is only affecting specific styles, not all styles are affected
  • When clearing the tabs in the affected styles the problem is resolved
  • When setting one tab (after clearing and resolving the issue) the problem resurfaces
  • The styles that are affected have a larger font size (75pt)
  • Even in the styles that are affected the issue is only in the first half of the document
  • The other styles that are working are have tabs set
  • I have not opened these files in a few months, I have upgraded since to the most recent release. I don't remember having any issues prior to the 2017 release

Attempted solutions:

I have attempted the below solutions but they have not helped

• Restarting my computer
  • Erasing my preferences for InDesign
  • Saving the file as a idml, tried working on the idml and re-saving as a indd
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign

I anyone has as any resolution or helpful advice please let me know!

Harbs. any suggestions?

Thank you!

Shmuel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Hi,

If possible can you please mail me your document so  that we can look into the tabs issue that you are facing?

Also as a workaround you can try the following:

Navigate to Preference->Advance Type -> Type Contextual Controls and disable the first preference “show for Character Alternates, Fractions, Ordinals and Ligatures”

Let me know if this helps

Thanks and regards,

Aman

[personal email removed as per forum guidelines]

[Corrupt documents can be sent to idfile@adobe.com  as directed here

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If possible can you please mail me your document so  that we can look into the tabs issue that you are facing?

Also as a workaround you can try the following:

Navigate to Preference->Advance Type -> Type Contextual Controls and disable the first preference “show for Character Alternates, Fractions, Ordinals and Ligatures”

Let me know if this helps

Thanks and regards,

Aman

[personal email removed as per forum guidelines]

[Corrupt documents can be sent to idfile@adobe.com  as directed here:
 https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html  ]

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aman,

I have followed your suggestion and that workaround has resolved the issue.

I have emailed you the file so we can get a full resolution to this issue.

Thanks,

Shmuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this workaround, and it worked once, then reverted to the locked Type tool.  This is extremely frustrating.  Sometimes, I can restart the program, or restart the program to use the other tools, but the tools lock up once I select the type tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar program. I'm working on a rather large document. When trying to make changes to the footnotes, or change type the app simply freezes. I've tried all sorts of things and it keeps freezing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem! The app freezes when I select text or use the paragraph styles pane in any capacity. I've attempted the above solutions and have tried other workarounds, but nothing has helped. Is there anything else I can try? I am on a Macbook Pro (Monterey) using Indesign 17.4 (but have also tried with older versions as well, and it persists).
Thanks in advance!
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm currently in the same boat. Infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is craziness!! I uninstalled and installed InDesign again andthe isue of freezing text continues. I have 2020 and this seems to be an issue since 2016? I am about to pull my hair off working on a presentation!! HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CDS-37

In addition to uninstalling and reinstalling, did you also try the suggestion from Aman earlier in this thread?

Navigate to Preferences > Advanced Type > Type Contextual Controls
and disable the first preference “show for Character Alternates, Fractions, Ordinals and Ligatures”

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jane-e: I'm having the same issue with a document. Every time I open the document/select a text box/highlight text, really anything, the document freezes. I tried turning off the preference you've mentioned in Advanced Type. Any other suggestions to resolve this issue? It's been ongoing with the last few creative cloud updates. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines