Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tabs bar not aligning when the magnet is clicked

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi--

I cannot for the life of me get the tab bar to align with the text box I want to use tabs in. When I click on the magnet icon nothing happens. (I'm using CC). I've tried everything I can think of -- fitting the whole spread on the screen, reducing the size of the tab bar -- what am I missing? And yes, I've selected text within the text box I'm trying to align it to.

Thank so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

The tabruler always snaps to the top of a textframe when clicking on the magnet, so make sure there is simply enough room at the top from the text frame and the ruler on your screen, if not InDesign simply has no room enough at the top. Try scrolling your document so the top of the textframe shifts a little down and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. For a while I thought the issue was the width of the entire column had to be visible for InDesign to snap the ruler. But even then it sometimes doesn’t work. So I just leave it, since the guide it shows when adding tabs it usually enough. If I have to have it in the right place I move it there.

Using CC 2015 mostly since I teach a course and the school’s computers will not be upgraded until the end of the semester.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sometimes it works. I wonder if it has to do with it not liking linked text boxes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tabruler always snaps to the top of a textframe when clicking on the magnet, so make sure there is simply enough room at the top from the text frame and the ruler on your screen, if not InDesign simply has no room enough at the top. Try scrolling your document so the top of the textframe shifts a little down and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works, thank you! It didn't occur to me, as the text I was working on was near the bottom of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Frans van der Geest (ACP) wrote:

This calls for a trip to the feature request page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines