• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to copy pictures from LR onto my La Cie external hard drive?

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to COPY all my photos that are in LR to my La Cie external hard drive. I thought I did it and can see them when I open the external hard drive itself by opening/viewing the external hard drive on the desktop, but when I open LR, and choose to look at the pictures on the external hard drive they are not there. It shows the number of pictures as only 700 ish, and I know there are at least 2000 pictures that I should be seeing in LR by choosing La Cie.

I know there's got to be an easy fix to this, but I am still having trouble. Thank you for your help in advance.

Vicki

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you did that didn't work, however Lightroom does not have a feature to COPY photos to a different location. Lightroom only offers a MOVE feature. If you really want to do a COPY, then you must use your operating system.

So could you please start from beginning and explain the task you are trying to accomplish (and why you want to do this), and we can probably advise you on the best way to proceed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I didn't know LR doesn't have a feature to COPY my photos to an external hard drive.

From the beginning, I am trying to COPY all photos onto an external hard drive so that I can work with them from any one of my computers, such as my laptop OR my desk top.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds to me like you really want a MOVE and not a COPY. Does that sound correct to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to move, in case there's a problem. I would prefer to copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have backups of all of your photos and your catalog file on a different physical disk than the originals. These backups are supposed to sit untouched and unused on this different physical disk, unless there is some emergency and you need to use them.

Your plans aren't clear to me, if you have backups, then a MOVE works fine. If you don't have backups, then you need to do this first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, I'll probably go that route since I can't COPY them to my external hard drive.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Vicki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except I didn't say that. I said you need to have backups first, before you try the MOVE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes thank you, I understood that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since LR is not a file browser, it sometimes gets it wrong when moving large number of files, like when moving directory trees.

Your safest option is to use the OS tools (Finder or Explorer) to move/copy the directory tree to the new drive, then in LR use the Folders panel to point it to the new folder on the new drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Joe, I might try that.

I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines