Exit

AE RAM preview is pixelated and sometimes doesn't work at all

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This shows what I mean.

Capture.PNG

It's set to half the resolution, yet, it looks like something that has come out of an 8 bit machine. (The comp is 1080i)

PC specs: i7-4790K 4.00GHz, 16GB DDR3, GTX770 and it's all running on an SSD.

It's a completely new install of Windows and After Effects, (as I switched to another SSD). Any idea what could cause RAM preview to run so slow and buggy?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

check your fast preview options

if adaptive resolution degrades your image too much, you can set it's preferences in the renderer options. in some cases you would want to set it to Off (final quality).

see if that works for you.

I would also try to purge the memory: edit->purge->all and see if the new preview image looks better.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

about the pixelated view: check your preview panel settings. there is no RAM preview anymore, in the sense that there is no special designated keyboard shortcut to do that. you can set to preview your composition in any of the shortcuts with much flexibility. check your preview panel. this how I set mine for Numpad 0 - this how old RAM preview (prior to CC2015) worked

notice the resolution popup - when it's set to auto, it takes the information from the resolution popup of your composition. probably what you want.

if you have made a mess (it's easier to mess the preview panel than ever before) just click the reset button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't only mean the RAM preview. It's also when I look at every single frame, it's either pixelated or completely grayed out with the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check your fast preview options

if adaptive resolution degrades your image too much, you can set it's preferences in the renderer options. in some cases you would want to set it to Off (final quality).

see if that works for you.

I would also try to purge the memory: edit->purge->all and see if the new preview image looks better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! I've been struggeling with this for weeks! And Adobe's chat support wasn't able to help me and blamed my GPU. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. guess it's the luck of the draw sometimes with support. I think they are much more helpful in installation problems than in interface or under the hood concepts in After effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seven years later your response helped me so much! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines